Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

AC pulley issues

Old 02-19-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kkiley is an unknown quantity at this point
AC pulley issues

1st time poster on this site and I am in need of some basic info. I apologize for not using search, but I have tried and I am on a time crunch.

Daughter's car is a 2005 Civic hybrid. She is home from college and the AC clutch appears to be making bad noises. This car is new to us, so I am not up to speed on how it works.

I need to loosen up the serpentine belt and then check the AC pulley. I have read that I can replace the AC clutch without removing the compressor.
How do I loosen the belt?
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-19-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: AC pulley issues

The idler pulley up top is the belt adjustment point.
Center nut locks pulley in place, top bolt is the adjuster.

You can also run a shorter belt to bypass the compressor
Old 02-19-2017
Registered!!

Thanks so much ezone. Got the belt loose and it is definitely the AC clutch. Hopefully I can find one in the morning at a dealership.
If I can't find one, any idea what size belt to buy to bypass it?
Thanks so much.
Old 02-19-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kkiley
Thanks so much ezone. Got the belt loose and it is definitely the AC clutch. Hopefully I can find one in the morning at a dealership.
If I can't find one,
I'd expect that to be a special order item in many places, I wouldn't expect every dealer to have parts like that waiting on the shelf. Call and ask though.....and look up your own part numbers (and prices) ahead of time

Online Honda dealer catalog sites, all sell far below MSRP
hondapartsnow
hondapartscheap
bkhondaparts
hondaautomotiveparts.com/

any idea what size belt to buy to bypass it?
Thanks so much.
This poster found the belt length info elsewhere, see the URL in his post here: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4710181
Old 02-19-2017
Registered!!

Thank you for taking the time today ezone. Shorter belt installed and I will order the clutch online and save a few $$$.
Appreciate the help!

Search this Thread