Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2002 Civic steering wheel shaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017
Old biker dude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
biker275 is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 Civic steering wheel shaking

I have had the tires balanced (with the new road pressure technology), the four wheel alignment was done and everything is within desired specs, and still I have a shaky steering wheel at highway speeds. The faster I drive it the worse it is.

I've inspected the tires for anything that seems not normal, and I've inspected the rims for wobble.

The car has 116,000 miles on it and only 90,000 on the xmission.

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.
Old 02-15-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: 2002 Civic steering wheel shaking

rotors warped?
Old 02-15-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I have had the tires balanced (with the new road pressure technology), the four wheel alignment was done and everything is within desired specs, and still I have a shaky steering wheel at highway speeds. The faster I drive it the worse it is.
Did you tell to the shop this is work you wanted done, or did you ask them to figure out what the shake is?
Old 02-16-2017
Old biker dude

I took the car in for the left camber bolt installation. They had balanced the tires a couple months earlier, but the wheel shaking at highway speeds started about a month ago. I assumed that I had lost a wheel weight and I had the wheels balanced again when the camber bolt job was done. I took the car onto a highway as I left the shop and I was surprised that the shaking was still present.

I do have an appointment on Tuesday for them to attempt to diagnose the problem.

"Them" refers to my local friendly Honda service center.
Old 02-16-2017
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Is the steering wheel shake more a coming at you and then toward the windshield type of shake? Is it a shake on all roads that are smooth and even? If yes, it's probably still balance.

Or is it a 11 o'clock 1 o'clock shake or heaven help you 10 o'clock 2 o'clock shake? Then mechanical or tires (uneven wear or bad) or alignment. (in my opinion of order to check)

Had new Michelin AW tires put on my 2004 4x4 Tacoma. They are stock size but for a small truck, the are pretty big and of course, the suspension is heavy and truck like. On certain areas of our concrete interstates, they shook the steering wheel terrible. The old OEM tires had never done that.

Couple of the wheels has almost 4 oz of weights on them. Ask them at Costco what they thought and they wanted to re-balance them. What they basically did was dynamic balance them (meaning balanced them spinning with equipment that can detects a heavy point at an angle. Then the equipment indicates the amount of weight needed on both sides and at correct points. Since those two tires had all the weight at two points, the basically reduce the correction some and rechecked and were able to add the additional which was at a few degrees different then as indicated first run. He greatly helped then. However, that one stretch of interstate is still pretty bad on that stiff suspension with those high mileage type stiff riding tires.

Go on Wikipedia and read dynamic balance and get an understanding of it. Those words you used above mean nothing.

Last edited by RIPSAW; 02-16-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-16-2017
Old biker dude

The shake is more like a 1159 to 1201 shake. It is not affected by applying slight to moderate breaking, and does not change if I shift the xmission into a lower gear. Steering changes also do not affect the shaking. I note that the shaking sometimes goes away for a few seconds for no obvious reason.
Old 02-16-2017
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

1159 to 1201 shake??? My truck would scare you to death!???.....

What kind of bike do you have?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1SIGNATURE10.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	89535