Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

AirBag light codes 04 Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MontanaProf is an unknown quantity at this point
AirBag light codes 04 Hybrid

Hey there guys,

I have the same issue with the light coming on. I've reset following the reset procedures but it keeps coming on.

There were a couple of comments in this thread about "reading the codes". I have a code reader (just from Harbor Freight), but that did provide me with any error codes at all, even with the light on.

What am I missing here when it comes to reading the codes?

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Airbag light on AFTER recall repair

Originally Posted by MontanaProf
Hey there guys,

I have the same issue with the light coming on. I've reset following the reset procedures but it keeps coming on.

There were a couple of comments in this thread about "reading the codes". I have a code reader (just from Harbor Freight), but that did provide me with any error codes at all, even with the light on.

What am I missing here when it comes to reading the codes?

Thanks!
You'd have to jumper the SCS terminals (where equipped) to obtain blink codes from the warning light. What car are you working with?

OBD2 standards are only related to powertrain items, engine and transmission, so a simple OBD2 code reader can't read any other systems in a car systems unless it's specifically programmed to (ABS is a common system to include).
Old 02-09-2017
Registered!!

[QUOTE=ezone;4719294]You'd have to jumper the SCS terminals (where equipped) to obtain blink codes from the warning light. What car are you working with?

Thanks ezone and sorry for not posting the car details.

2004 Civic Hybrid
78,000 miles
Had the airbag recall done.

I would love to be able to grab those blink codes. I've been reading the forums and it seems highly likely this is a seatbelt buckle sensor issue.

I have never even heard of blink codes before. Can I get them on this particular model? Do they alert to the seatbelt sensor if I can?

many thanks!
Old 02-09-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

On yours you would have to use a jumper wire to bridge between two terminals in the OBD datalink connector under the dash.

You would have to jumper terminal #9 (brown wire) with terminal #4 (black wire),

turn the key to ON (do not start the engine)

the dashboard will go nuts with blinking lights, pay attention to the SRS light and count blinks. It would probably come on for about 6 seconds, go out, then begin flashing the code

Code number below ten should be just slow flashes.....count accordingly.
Code numbers above ten, a set of four very fast flashes would count as a 10s digit, followed by slower flashes to represent ones digit.

So .....1111......1.......1.....would equal 12 (?)

Post your results
Or take a video of the flashing and post that up, we can vote on it LOL
Old 02-10-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
take a video of the flashing and post that up, we can vote on it LOL
Superb idea to take a video, thank you. That way I'm not trying to remember how many flashes and how long they last.
Old 02-12-2017
Registered!!

the SRS light and count blinks. It would probably come on for about 6 seconds, go out, then begin flashing the code

Code number below ten should be just slow flashes.....count accordingly.
Code numbers above ten, a set of four very fast flashes would count as a 10s digit, followed by slower flashes to represent ones digit.

So .....1111......1.......1.....would equal 12 (?)

Post your results
Or take a video of the flashing and post that up, we can vote on it LOL
Not sure how to post a video here, but after filming the lights it was easy to read the code: ......1111....1....1....1....1.....1......longer1. ... then repeats

The four flashing is obvious and correct. Then there are evenly spaced quick one flashes. This is the 15.

Then there is a slightly longer pause and a longer flash. I am assuming this a "I'm done".

So, the code is 15, I would think.
Old 02-12-2017
Registered!!

NTT99 is an unknown quantity at this point
AirBag light codes

Here's the code in a video. Someone please tell me the code and everything about it please thanks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/efnfspp92mnggno/Video%20Feb%2012%2C%207%2003%2036%20PM.mov?dl=0
Old 02-12-2017

Not sure how to post a video here, but after filming the lights it was easy to read the code: ......1111....1....1....1....1.....1......longer1. ... then repeats

The four flashing is obvious and correct. Then there are evenly spaced quick one flashes. This is the 15.

Then there is a slightly longer pause and a longer flash. I am assuming this a "I'm done".

So, the code is 15, I would think.
I don't ever use flash codes myself, and if I were questioning what I see in the flashes I might create a code (disconnect an item) to 'force' a known fault code to learn more about how it is displayed in flashes on the dash. I'd want to create a 3 digit code (11-x through 22-x) just to see how it is displayed, that way I can verify what the original code is supposed to be. Probably disconnect the drivers airbag connector to force code 11-1 and see how the series of blinks is displayed....then double check the original code using that new info.

If one were to use an SRS capable scantool..... it would be much better, more accurate, save time and money, bla bla bla.

Honda SRS code chart for reference, NOTE this chart may include codes not possible in your particular car:

^^charts from clubrsx.com

HTH

Last edited by ezone; 02-12-2017 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-12-2017

Re: AirBag light codes

Originally Posted by NTT99
Here's the code in a video. Someone please tell me the code and everything about it please thanks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/efnfspp92m...%20PM.mov?dl=0
Just found this video. Moved all of your posts to a single thread of your own.
Will move thread in a minute.
Editing my other post in a minute too.

Code is 22-1 (two sets of 4, plus 2, plus 1). See chart in above post.
Passengers buckle tensioner circuit open or high resistance.

If you can disconnect the plug under the seat, reconnect, and the code disappears, it's due to terminal fretting.
Old 02-12-2017
Registered!!

Thanks eZone. The "Complete recall per Honda Recall Bulletin 14-045" was done May 2015 by the Honda Dealer.

I've had the SRS light go on and done the "reset" using the (something like) connect-let the SRS light flash - disconnect-light flash-reconnect procedure (I followed the instructions very carefully). I've done the reset several times now.

I'd say this is a 15-1 code based on what you've said and what I saw for the lights.

So, as you said "If someone did replace deployed items AND the control unit but neglected to do the procedures to initialize the OPDS, this could set the code".

I guess the next question is: how do I initialize the OPDS?

Once I've done that (assuming it is different from that SRS reset I've done), this seems to be a faulty OPDS unit AFTER a May 2015 refit. Less than 5,000 miles since that work was done even though almost 2 years has passed.
Old 02-12-2017

Re: AirBag light codes 04 Hybrid

Check this thread again, I've done editing on the run.

Code 22-1
Old 02-12-2017

Also, check your VIN for new and improved recalls again, they keep adding more cars and hav ing us replace units that have already been replaced in the past.
Old 03-26-2017
Registered!!

Hi all,

I'm back to trying to fix this. Here's the video of the SRS codes:

It looks like a 15-1 to me, but I thought you guys could verify this for me.

Many thanks!
Old 03-26-2017

Agree it looks like 15-1

All new code? Did you fix the previous 22-1 code? Did you have wiring unplugged from the passengers seat and not reconnect it?
Old 03-26-2017
Registered!!

Agree it looks like 15-1

All new code? Did you fix the previous 22-1 code? Did you have wiring unplugged from the passengers seat and not reconnect it?
That 22-1 was from someone else's post.

Any thoughts on what to do with my 15-1? I've followed the manual reset instructions about 10 times over the last month and am still getting the code.
Old 03-26-2017

That 22-1 was from someone else's post.
Oh hell, I didn't notice that.
Any thoughts on what to do with my 15-1? I've followed the manual reset instructions about 10 times over the last month and am still getting the code.
By "reset" do you mean you are only erasing the fault code, or are you trying to manually re-initialize the OPDS system?
Old 03-26-2017
Registered!!

Seriously, no need to apologize at all...you're giving out free help!!

I am trying to manually re-initialize the OPDS system using the instructions on this site which unplugs the yellow clip (can't remember its name, and the instructions are out in the Civic) and then you use a paperclip to connect and disconnect as the SRS light goes on and off. I've followed them REALLY carefully several times.
Old 03-26-2017

I've followed them REALLY carefully several times
You are doing it with the pins for the SCS system jumpered in the OBD2 connector? (See link below, page 5, manual mode, step 6 wants this done with the HDS scanner but if you know the correct pins you can use a jumper wire, THEN you can continue with the MES connector and the procedures)

Give this a read...it has the procedure:

https://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/files/campaign_and_recall_bulletins/A06-009.pdf

No, the extension doesn't apply.

If you are doing the initialization procedure to the letter and it ends up resetting the fault code, then it's got problems. You're probably looking at replacing either the OPDS control unit or the sensor array built into the foam cushion of the seatback. When they get this old, I usually estimate doing both as a set. Or pick up a used seat that works.
Old 03-27-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Did you check the fuse for the OPDS?

Would initializing the OPDS with the HDS make any difference?

Disconnect negative battery cable for 3 minutes and see if code still there?

Check wiring for a short, poor connections, poor grounds before resorting to a new OPDS unit/sensors.
Old 03-27-2017

Would initializing the OPDS with the HDS make any difference?
If his procedure is done correctly, the initialization process using either method should produce the same result.
Old 03-28-2017
Registered!!

Well crap...the procedures you posted are the exact ones I've been using and I still have the SRS light on.

Presumably it is always worth pulling the fuse and trying the battery disconnect?
Old 03-28-2017

Well crap...the procedures you posted are the exact ones I've been using and I still have the SRS light on.

Presumably it is always worth pulling the fuse and trying the battery disconnect?
Have you done the SRS code erase procedure before and after trying to initialize the OPDS system?
Old 04-01-2017
Registered!!

Have you done the SRS code erase procedure before and after trying to initialize the OPDS system?
Okay, so I was using the instructions you've so kindly provided...but now you have me wondering if I've been doing things in the right order or completely.

I'd say that I've just been doing the "initialize the OPDS system" stuff. That starts on Page 5 of 7 of the instructions.

I don't think I have the instructions to do the SRS code erase procedure.

Thanks!