Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

My civic won't go in or out of park

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ccamp2 is an unknown quantity at this point
My civic won't go in or out of park

I know there is a ton of other threads on this topic. I can't take my car out of park or put it in park to get my key.. but I have changes all fuses and the break switch.. check out my video..

what else can I do?

Old 02-11-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My civic won't go in or out of park

Hard as hell to move the shifter?
Open the hood. Locate where the shifter cable attaches to the lever on top of the transmission. (below air filter box, top rear of transmission)

The exposed round end of the cable is FULL of corrosion and is bound up so the end of the cable cannot pivot on the stub of the lever, and if you've pulled hard enough the cable might be bent.

What I've done to fix this (lowest cost): Take it all apart. Careful prying may be necessary. Straighten cable if possible. Clean out the corrosion (penetrating oil, wire brush, wire wheel, etc) as necessary, lube with new grease and reassemble. Recheck and re-lube if it ever starts to do this again in the future.

If you want the correct fix, replace the shifter cable and lever set, as per the service bulletin about this issue. New part numbers are listed in the bulletin. Goggled for reference:
http://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com/honda-hard-shift/

HTH
Old 02-14-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light
Re: My civic won't go in or out of park

The TSB says it is for 2003-05 Hybrids with CVT but here is a copy should it help...
Attached Files