Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Can Anyone Tell Time?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traser579 is an unknown quantity at this point
Can Anyone Tell Time?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Timing.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	3.64 MB
ID:	89518
Old 02-10-2017
Registered!!

Re: Can Anyone Tell Time?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxa...ew?usp=sharing
Old 02-10-2017
Registered!!

Is this out of time if my cylinder 1 is at tdc
Old 02-10-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...placement.html

The power of search... Use it and you shall find many answers....
Old 02-10-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Traser579
Is this out of time if my cylinder 1 is at tdc
Do you have the crank pulley set with the single notch aligned to the pointer on the timing cover?

That cam looks off (maybe by 2 or 3 teeth) but you aren't really showing any of the necessary timing mark details in your pic.

Old 02-11-2017
Registered!!

Check out my second post with the link it brings it to a picture that shows where the crankshaft position is there's three little marks on the crankshaft and then there's one Mark by itself after the three and it is on the mark that is by itself and the up is like you said two to three teeth off I think
Old 02-11-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

assuming yourcrank is really properly aligned at TDC, then i would say the cam is advanced about 2 teeth and "out of time"

on a side note it looks like you have some fluids leaking in the timing area....oil or coolant??
Old 02-11-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Check out my second post with the link it brings it to a picture that shows where the crankshaft position is there's three little marks on the crankshaft and then there's one Mark by itself after the three and it is on the mark that is by itself and the up is like you said two to three teeth off I think
Link only led me to a single pic of cam gear.

Regardless, the cam is still out by about 3 teeth if crank was correctly aligned.
Old 02-12-2017
Registered!!

Anyone have any suggestion as to how to turn the cam gear back?
Old 02-12-2017

Anyone have any suggestion as to how to turn the cam gear back?
How did it get out of time in the first place?
Old 02-12-2017
Registered!!

Just started running bad one day. Its a friends car and he let his nephew borrow it and it came back barely running
Old 02-12-2017
Registered!!

I think the belt might be loose but I haven't got to the tensioner yet
Old 02-12-2017
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

how are you sure the crank is at TDC?

what marks are you using?

take a pic of these marks

remove the entire timing cover if you have not done so already,

align the mark on the crank gear with TDC mark on the engine case, now check cam timing....is it correct?

if not you need to inspect the tensoiner and spring to see if something is loose, there must be a reason why the belt jumped (assuming it did at this point)
Old 02-12-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Traser,

All your answers were given on post #4, shown below.

read the first post on the link and you would by now know that your pics say nothing

read the link
read the link
read the link
read the link
read the link

did it sink on you?

read the link

Originally Posted by GusBuz
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...placement.html

The power of search... Use it and you shall find many answers....
Old 02-12-2017

Just started running bad one day. Its a friends car and he let his nephew borrow it and it came back barely running
I think the belt might be loose but I haven't got to the tensioner yet
Figure out WHY it jumped time and correct that problem, else the engine may trash a pile of valves if the belt jumps any more teeth.

The pic linked in post 2 does show the crank pulley correctly aligned on the notch...I couldn't see that clearly on my phone.
Old 02-13-2017
Registered!!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx...TZFMDVxM0I3aW8

Check out this video
Old 02-13-2017
Registered!!

that video really tells me nothing because you have not shown the crank marks, you need to show the crank marks,

if you think the timing is incorrect then you are going to have to remove the lower timing cover to correct it, so you might as well do that now,

that is also the best way to check the crank TDC marks,
Old 02-13-2017

I can see the crank pulley marks just fine. Cam is still out of time.

Just putting it back in time doesn't fix the reason it got out of time in the first place either.
It needs a timing belt job, and probably the timing tensioner pulley and spring set (get this from HONDA, not aftermarket), maybe the water pump as well

...and it needs a cam seal, and probably the rest of the usual oil leaks need fixed as well. The life of the timing belt depends on it staying clean and dry.
Old 02-14-2017
Registered!!

I could only show the marks on the harmonic balancer guess id have to take that off to see the crank marks
Old 02-14-2017
Registered!!

Thanks for the input ezone.. i will definitely get those seals
Old 02-14-2017

I could only show the marks on the harmonic balancer guess id have to take that off to see the crank marks
No need.... the marks are still TDC no matter which set you want to check (crank pulley or crank timing gear).

But you're gonna be pulling it off to replace the belt.
Old 03-16-2017
Registered!!

Okay got it back in time got it all back together change the tensioner just to be safe I guess the Cadillac converter might have been a little stopped up probably cause and back pressure which probably caused the cams to turn little harder which may have allowed it to slip at some point not to mention dog in the s*** out of it. So for shes running great... Thanks everyone.
Old 03-16-2017
Registered!!

I guess the Cadillac converter might have been a little stopped up probably cause and back pressure which probably caused the cams to turn little harder which may have allowed it to slip at some point not to mention dog in the s*** out of it.

neither of those things should cause a timing belt to "jump time"
Old 03-18-2017
Registered!!

What do you think it could have been then
Old 03-18-2017

What do you think it could have been then
YOU needed to determine the mechanical root cause of why this happened, because if you don't find and correct the root cause of the problem it's very likely to happen all over again. Soon.

These engines are 'interference', they bend valves when it gets too far out of time. Do you understand what that means?

====
====
Exhaust, backpressure and catalytic converter have zero, ZERO bearing on the stresses placed on the timing components.
If they were a problem before, they would still be a problem now.

Kids ******* the snot out of the car shouldn't have anything to do with it either, IF everything related to the timing components was kosher in the first place.

=====
=====
Did you replace the timing belt, or did you reuse the old one?
What about the tensioner pulley and spring?

Does this car have an automatic transmission?