Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 No Crank No Start -HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oleschool is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 No Crank No Start -HELP

My daughter was driving down the road and the car just stopped.The starter won't crank but the battery is good.

Where do I start looking?I've heard that the ignition switch could be the problem.What else can it be?
Old 01-30-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2001 No Crank No Start -HELP

Add to your list of troubleshooting: alternator and broken or slipped timing belt.
Old 01-30-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Check the connections on the starter, test the starter.
Post a description of everything that happens when you turn on the car and try to start it.
Old 01-30-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

driving down the road and the car just stopped.

.....The starter won't crank
Did it make a lot of noise just before everything got really quiet?
Check the oil yet?
Old 01-30-2017
Registered!!

Well I checked the car and it does crank.(I was going on what I was told when I started the post) Bad news is its the timing belt.

Will the engine be damaged or can I just replace the belts and tensioner?I used a borescope and didn't see any broken pieces in the cylinder.
Old 01-30-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Valves are pretty much guaranteed bent.
Get the head off and have a look, hopefully the tops of the pistons are ok.
When you go to replace the belt and tensioner use honda parts, might as well do the water pump while you're in there
Old 01-30-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If it broke the timing belt while driving down the road, you may as well pull the head because it's got a lot of bent valves.

Have you pulled it down far enough to determine the cause of the timing belt failure? Old age, or the tensioner pulley and spring failed?

You could slip a new timing belt on and then verify a compression test fails miserably first, then pull the head to fix the damage.

If it didn't bend valves, go buy lottery tickets.
Old 01-30-2017
Registered!!

Damn I was hoping I could get away with just replacing the belt and associated parts.The car only has 190k kms on it so I had hoped to use it longer.I guess I'll have to start looking for more parts.
Old 01-30-2017

I always want to know WHY something failed, fix the the root cause so it doesn't happen again prematurely.
Old 01-30-2017
Registered!!

In all honesty I should have done the timing belt when I bought the car at 180k. More than likely it was cracked and just failed due to age.
Old 01-30-2017

Originally Posted by Oleschool
In all honesty I should have done the timing belt when I bought the car at 180k. More than likely it was cracked and just failed due to age.
Yea, but inspect that tensioner pulley and spring first.

If you are gonna replace it, use a pulley kit from Honda....because aftermarket has far too many severely inferior parts for sale and another set of valves won't be cheap.