Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2002 Civic LX : Power Window Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
n9yty is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 Civic LX : Power Window Help

I have searched and tried to find an answer, but I haven't found a set of symptoms quite like mine. Sorry if I just didn't search with the right words.

I have a 2002 Civic LX Sedan, and the rear passenger window control works fine, but the driver master control will not operate that window. It operates everything else, just not that window.

I saw wiring diagrams and sucn online, and it seems like the wiring routes through the driver door master control panel and then on to the rear window controls. Therefore, it would follow, if I understand it properly, that *if* the rear window control works that there are no issues with the wiring to or in that door or with fuses.

Thinking I had found the problem and it was the switch itself, I ordered a replacement driver door master switch, but when I plugged it in the same problem exists.

I tried to find diagrams online, both of the wiring overview and the master switch connector, but wanted to be sure I got one for the 2002 LX before I started poking around and cross-connecting things lest I start blowing fuses or worse.

Could it possibly be just bad contacts on the cable going to the master switch for that one window? Obviously unplugging it, plugging it into the other switch and re-plugging into the original was not enough action to clean them if that is the case.

I'm just not exactly sure where to go next. Any thoughts/tips would be appreciated!
Old 01-23-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2002 Civic LX : Power Window Help

open rear passenger door,

look between the door and frame,

you will see a rubber "boot" where the wires go through,

look for broken wires in that boot,

i had the same thing happen, those wires break over time with the door opening and closing
Old 01-23-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
n9yty is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikey1
open rear passenger door, look between the door and frame, you will see a rubber "boot" where the wires go through, look for broken wires in that boot, i had the same thing happen, those wires break over time with the door opening and closing
Did you read my original message? I thought that only one set of wires went to the rear door, not a separate set from the driver panel. Since the rear door control itself works fine, I guess I assumed that the wiring harness was OK. If there are different wires going there directly that the rear control uses apart from the ones the driver door control uses, then broken wires would make sense.

Also, the driver control doesn't work in either direction, neither up nor down, which to me would indicate two broken wires? Or a bad common for that window if it is seprate from the others... Some diagrams I saw showed the common for that switch also "bypassing" the switch to go directly to the rear control. But again, I am not sure I have found the exact right diagram so I don't want to start poking and probing just yet...
Old 01-23-2017
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

The switches at the doors when at resting position pass the +/- or -/+ sent from master switch so yes....... You need to look for broken wiring which is quite common.
Old 01-24-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by n9yty
I thought that only one set of wires went to the rear door, not a separate set from the driver panel. Since the rear door control itself works fine, I guess I assumed that the wiring harness was OK.
you thought wrong.....