Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Throw Out Bearing Shaft Damage

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMartin25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Throw Out Bearing Shaft Damage

I have taken my transmission apart to replace the input shaft bearing. I replaced everything I needed to inside and decided to replace clutch and throwout bearing because it has 205k miles. My problem is that the bell housing case shaft where the throwout bearing rides is worn and grooved. The new throw out bearing is loose on the shaft. I know my brothers subaru has an aftermarket sleeve that goes on there with an oversized throw out bearing. Has anyone ever run into this problem and now how to fix it? I have searched everywhere with no results at all for Honda. Here is the link for subaru: http://www.pdmusa.com/ . Thanks in advance
Old 01-16-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Throw Out Bearing Shaft Damage

I don't have the answer you seek, but more questions to consider:

How loose is the fit now? It does have to be loose enough to move freely.

Was the (snout wear, I assume) causing problems that were really noticeable while driving, before you took this apart?

If it was working OK before, wouldn't a new TO bearing give about the same performance as the old one?

Lube up the new bearing and slap it on? LOL
(I did not check to see if the snout can be purchased separately)
Old 01-17-2017
Registered!!

AMartin25 is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't have any trouble with the transmission or clutch before it would just be more of a preventative repair. I have heard of the snout wearing down and breaking off. The throw out bearing wobbles around a good bit in my opinion. I'll probably just stick the new one on and hope for another 50k miles. Thank for the reply
Old 01-17-2017
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

You will be fine. The only time it spins the bearing is when you push in the clutch. Load on the shaft will offset it and it will spin the new bearing. Back before they had ball bearing, they had sleeve bearings that were sloppy big time