Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Replace head gasket on 150k engine or swap 40k JDM engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough
Replace head gasket on 150k engine or swap 40k JDM engine?

Been mulling over the options to decide how I want to handle the inevitable gasket repair on wife's 01 EX.

I have a buddy at a dealership that can do the gasket for $400+ parts (gaskets and fluids) which is reasonable. He said usually customers opt to swap a JDM replacement in instead since we have a lot of JDM engine importers in Houston.

The JDM replacements are $500 and include entire engine, coils, accessories, flywheel, and a few other odds and ends. I'd replace the clutch for $150 while it's apart, then he'd charge $300 labor on that job. They test compression but as we know with these engines, that doesn't mean the head gasket is good. Apparently the JDM engines are much better kept and extremely unlikely to be failed.

Basically, I can have the head gasket fixed on my 150k mile engine for ~$600 (guaranteed to run and fix my current issue) or have a 40k mile engine with new clutch installed for ~$1000. Both jobs will be warrantied by the dealership.

The car is probably worth $2500-3000 if head gasket is fixed with current engine/mileage. Swapping the JDM Engine probably won't increase the value of the car.

What are your opinions? With the prices he's quoting me for the dealership to work on it, I feel it's probably worth it to pay them. I normally do all my engine building and modifying on my own but $300-400 for all that work seems like a great deal.

Old 01-17-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Replace head gasket on 150k engine or swap 40k JDM engine?

personally i would fix what you have,

you know how your engine has been treated
Old 01-17-2017
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Is a JDM a Japan engine from a junked car in Japan or something to do with some type of regulation there that requires them to pull them? Good luck on truly knowing the engine truly has 40K. At 150K, that is a lot of miles to me but I give them off to kids at 100K but take care of them for the kids.
Old 01-17-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikey1

I'd normally agree, but maybe OP already knows his engine has been rode hard and put away wet....

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Is a JDM a Japan engine from a junked car in Japan or something to do with some type of regulation there that requires them to pull them?
My source has said it's because of taxes. Tax increases as the car gets older, after some point it makes economic sense to purchase a much newer car.
Old car goes to salvage/recycle yard at some point, just like here.
Good luck on truly knowing the engine truly has 40K. At 150K, that is a lot of miles to me but I give them off to kids at 100K but take care of them for the kids.
I'd expect all lies from any seller.
Wait, it can't be a lie if they have no idea what the truth is

The engines are shipped from Japan dozens at a time to the US, in either a 20' or 40' cargo container.
The shops here have absolutely no clue how old any individual engine is unless the parts received are actually labeled.

http://www.autojapan.net/

http://www.japanusedautoparts.com/
Old 01-18-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
I'd normally agree, but maybe OP already knows his engine has been rode hard and put away wet....

No pun intended! probably wet for sure?
I believe I agree on mikey unless they give you a warranty on the JDM especially if your engine was running strong before the headgasket and you did not overheat it or run it with the oil pan full of water. Either can do a lot of damage on these engine by warping everything and floating the oil above the pick up. Water is a sorry lubricant.
Old 01-18-2017
Registered!!

5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by mikey1

It has been pretty good until this gasket, and it still runs fine with no intermixing of liquids but it needs to be fixed one way or another.

Is a JDM a Japan engine from a junked car in Japan or something to do with some type of regulation there that requires them to pull them? Good luck on truly knowing the engine truly has 40K. At 150K, that is a lot of miles to me but I give them off to kids at 100K but take care of them for the kids.
I've heard that regulations on older vehicles keeps people from using cars for a long time like we do here and also that they have higher standards in terms of engine condition for inspections. I'm under the impression that most JDM engines are going to be in great condition, almost definitely.

No pun intended! probably wet for sure?
I believe I agree on mikey unless they give you a warranty on the JDM especially if your engine was running strong before the headgasket and you did not overheat it or run it with the oil pan full of water. Either can do a lot of damage on these engine by warping everything and floating the oil above the pick up. Water is a sorry lubricant.
The dealership will warranty the swap so either way, it's warrantied.

The basic issue is whether to spend 600 and keep a 150k engine or spend 1000 on a lesser known 40-50k engine and clutch, then have a bunch of used spares like coils, alt, manifolds, PS pump, etc., knowing that in the end, the value of the car doesn't really increase. As a buyer, I'm skeptical of high mileage cars with swapped engines.
Old 01-18-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Always a bet, unfortunately...

Me, I seen to have stuck oil rings, still wondering if I just get a scrapyard engine, refresh it, install in the car and then start prepping the engine that is out of the car?
Old 01-18-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 5.0Thunder
It has been pretty good until this gasket, and it still runs fine with no intermixing of liquids but it needs to be fixed one way or another.
Any compression loss?

I'm looking at a '95 Civic EX with a JDM B20B swap and the seller showed me paperwork from the place he purchased it from that guarantees (whatever that means) the engine is between 55-60k miles. He asked them about the process and was told that Japan has very high emissions standards and it's cheaper to purchase a new car every few years rather than get fined with older engine emissions...sounds plausible.

JDM Myth: http://www.superstreetonline.com/how...ed-jdm-motors/

Judging by this: http://jdmorlandoinc.com/warranty/
The only thing that's guaranteed is a slim chance of refund..Lol

Last edited by Wankenstein; 01-19-2017 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-19-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by turd_ferguson
Any compression loss?

I'm looking at a '95 Civic EX with a JDM B20B swap and the seller showed me paperwork from the place he purchased it from that guarantees (whatever that means) the engine is between 55-60k miles. He asked them about the process and was told that Japan has very high emissions standards and it's cheaper to purchase a new car every few years rather than get fined with older engine emissions...sounds plausible.

The JDM myth seems to agree with what Ezone and I have heard. I'm very tempted to at least go check this importers engines out. I can check plugs, oil, and use a USB bore-camera connected to my laptop to check anything hard to access (bottom end, cylinders, valvetrain). I'd almost be willing to keep the car in the family for a while if it's legit.
Old 01-19-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if you guys realize how many threads/posts have been deleted and users banned because they were SPAMming for places that sell the JDM takeouts....
Old 01-19-2017
Registered!!

So it's OK to talk about such, just no web sites to them?
Old 01-19-2017
Registered!!

Any compression loss?

I wonder if you guys realize how many threads/posts have been deleted and users banned because they were SPAMming for places that sell the JDM takeouts....
Yeah, what's the scoop? Nothing wrong with using them if we aren't peddling their stuff right?
Old 01-19-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

the risk is there's a lot of people that thinks JDM engines are the "rave" and so lots of people sees a bunch of sitting ducks, so be careful on looking for "JDM" engines...

tons of scammers there. And the JDM engine for 7th gen is not that good anyway?
Old 01-19-2017

I'm not considering this thread to be spamming for a particular company at all, I was just reading and it reminded me of less than reputable people trying to get peoples hard earned money.

A short while back there was a whole bunch of handles created for the sole purpose of spamming for one particular "company" who must've been using a dozen different websites.
Old 01-19-2017

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

I'm not considering this thread to be spamming for a particular company at all, I was just reading and it reminded me of less than reputable people trying to get peoples hard earned money.

A short while back there was a whole bunch of handles created for the sole purpose of spamming for one particular "company" who must've been using a dozen different websites.
Sounds comparable to used car buying on craigslist. A lot of small-time dealers and "wholesalers" selling under Owners section. Seems to be few legitimate private sellers that have a decent length of ownership with the car they're selling. The wholesalers and dealers buy junk from auction and dealer trade-ins and have no history or concern for the turd-mobiles they're selling the public. Those shady dealers and wholesalers should be banned from owners section of CL.

The JDM B20B swapped '95 EX coupe I might buy tomorrow is a private seller and owned/built car for past two years.
getting it up on a rack for inspection and leakdown tested before offer of purchase.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 01-19-2017 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-20-2017
Registered!!

I understand what you are saying...Just making sure I understand the Forum rules.
Old 01-20-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
the risk is there's a lot of people that thinks JDM engines are the "rave" and so lots of people sees a bunch of sitting ducks, so be careful on looking for "JDM" engines...

tons of scammers there. And the JDM engine for 7th gen is not that good anyway?
Yeah, I'll have to really pay attention when looking at it or talking to them. A 45k mile stock engine is better than a 150k stock engine that blew a head gasket though in my opinion.

Sounds comparable to used car buying on craigslist. A lot of small-time dealers and "wholesalers" selling under Owners section. Seems to be few legitimate private sellers that have a decent length of ownership with the car they're selling. The wholesalers and dealers buy junk from auction and dealer trade-ins and have no history or concern for the turd-mobiles they're selling the public. Those shady dealers and wholesalers should be banned from owners section of CL.

The JDM B20B swapped '95 EX coupe I might buy tomorrow is a private seller and owned/built car for past two years.
getting it up on a rack for inspection and leakdown tested before offer of purchase.
It blows my mind how many small-time junk used dealers there are around my area (houston). Even when you think your buying a car from a private seller/owner, they end up saying "yeah i'll take care of TT&L... blah blah but it's my personal car" and I've already moved on. Then a large number of people try to sell cars "without knowing" that they're rebuilt or salvaged titles.
Old 01-21-2017

Yeah, I'll have to really pay attention when looking at it or talking to them. A 45k mile stock engine is better than a 150k stock engine that blew a head gasket though in my opinion.
Before you install or or do anything to it have it leakdown tested. Ideally engine should be at operating temp but, a cold leakdown with the engine out will tell a lot about it.

I purchased the car I mentioned and leak down test showed a little less than 10% leakage on two cylinders and a bit less than 15% on other two. Dry compression 210, 210, 203, 210.

It blows my mind how many small-time junk used dealers there are around my area (houston). Even when you think your buying a car from a private seller/owner, they end up saying "yeah i'll take care of TT&L... blah blah but it's my personal car" and I've already moved on. Then a large number of people try to sell cars "without knowing" that they're rebuilt or salvaged titles.
The little dealers here (Florida) usually say no dealer fee but, tax, tag and title included. I just wish they weren't allowed to post in "owners" section because it distorts real owner-sellers from dealers that should only list in the "dealer" section. Even if you get past the small dealers and rebuilt/salvage title sellers the private sellers tend to over inflate the price because Craigslist is just about the only source for private sellers to list their vehicle for sale.

Back in pre CL days cars were listed in local paper, Auto Trader (all dealers now), and roadside. I never encountered a small dealer back in those days or at least one that stated so.