Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

03 LX - Lost Lowbeams, tried a few things, stumped

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dabba is an unknown quantity at this point
03 LX - Lost Lowbeams, tried a few things, stumped

Hey guys, I'm hoping you can help a poor college student out.

About a week ago I randomly lost my lowbeams. Highbeams still work, as does everything else. I checked the headlight fuses, they are fine. Swapped the relays to see if it was the headlight relay, no change. Popped a bulb out and visually confirmed it wasnt burned out. Took a voltmeter to the bulb and it showed no open circuits, just to be sure. Figured it was the switch as that's what I've been reading.

Got the switch, swapped it, no good. After swapping the switch, tried swapping the relay again and no go. Figured since I had the voltmeter out I'd take it to the plug to see what kind of voltages I had. With highbeams on Left to top showed 12.5v, top to right showed nada. With lowbeams on, left to top, and top to right showed 0. Also with lowbeams left to right showed 0.

So it looks like I'm not getting power to the plug. My understanding is that power flows from battery to relay to headlight to dimmer switch and then grounds. I hear the relay click when I try to turn the lowbeams on, and I just swapped the dimmer switch. This tells me the break is somewhere between the relay and headlights?

I don't know if thats correct, and if so where to even start looking for the problem. It seems like a wire got screwed up somewhere and with school I do not have the time to search for hours. Anything to narrow it down to where or what it could be more specifically would be amazing.

Thanks guys

Last edited by Dabba; 01-11-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-11-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 03 LX - Lost Lowbeams, tried a few things, stumped

Has the recall been completed that addresses this problem?

Contact your Honda dealership, or check your VIN here:
recalls.honda.com
Old 01-11-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Has the recall been completed that addresses this problem?

Contact your Honda dealership, or check your VIN here:
recalls.honda.com
I read the recall only concerned the 01s and some of the 02s. I got the recall for airbags, but not anything concerning the headlights. Was the recall over the switch or plug into the switch? I didnt look at the back of the plug too much but nothing seemed burned or damaged to either piece.

Is there a way to tell its the plug without taking it to the dealer? I'm 1.5 hours away from the closest one and can't afford to be taken for a ride by them. I have a few closer but they are across the border into canada so not sure how that would work.

If I can determine if its the plug then I can go from there as thats probably a little beyond my abilities if the whole thing needs to go. If its not and just a single wire I'd like to repair it myself.
Old 01-11-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

You didn't bother to click the link to HONDA in my previous reply and check your VIN?
Old 01-11-2017

If your car needs the recall done, by all means have the dealer get it done.

If the recall has already been completed or does not apply to your car, then diagnose away.

-------------------------
edit: snip

Last edited by ezone; 01-11-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-11-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
You didn't bother to click the link to HONDA in my previous reply and check your VIN?

Didnt have the vin handy when I replied, sorry. Looks like it is under recall, though I was never notified. I guess ill call honda customer service. I'm hoping I can go across the border and get the work done in a couple hours, I don't wanna go 2-3x the distance to one in the US. Guess well see.

Really wish it was a little simpler.
Old 01-11-2017

Originally Posted by Dabba
Didnt have the vin handy when I replied, sorry. Looks like it is under recall, though I was never notified. I guess ill call honda customer service. I'm hoping I can go across the border and get the work done in a couple hours, I don't wanna go 2-3x the distance to one in the US. Guess well see.

Really wish it was a little simpler.
You might call Hondas customer assistance department and inquire if they will allow you to go to the closest dealership across the border.

Let them know the lights aren't working and it's dangerous.

Before you go to the dealership, call ahead to make them aware your lights don't work so they can make sure a replacement headlight switch is in stock or ordered, just in case it's needed.
It may or may not happen that way though, but one can hope.
Old 01-11-2017
Registered!!

I did replace the switch so hopefully one is goodd. Seems like the harness. I'll call tomorrow and see how that works. Thanks!
Old 01-11-2017

Make sure you have the VIN on you when you call so they can verify the recall status too.
Old 01-23-2017
Registered!!

broodfaun is an unknown quantity at this point

I have same problem on 05 civic but no recalls. What is the common cause of this problem?
Old 01-23-2017

Originally Posted by broodfaun
I have same problem on 05 civic but no recalls. What is the common cause of this problem?
Since you're in Canada (thanks for mentioning that) your car is a little more busy with the DRL controls and whatnot.

If you have a Canadian wiring diagram and can do some testing, you might reach a correct answer.....

Low beams are the ONLY lights that don't work?? Parking lights, dash lights, high beams, DRLs all still work?

WHen someone turns on the low beams, does the pair of headlight relays click on (in the engine compartment fusebox)?

If not....
I'd remove the column covers, get to the the light switch connector, (unplug and check for burns), if OK then reconnect it and backprobe the blu/red wire in cavity #7, see if it's grounded while the switch is turned on to the low beam position.