Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Blower motor resistor

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ep3Trex is an unknown quantity at this point
Blower motor resistor

I have a 2002 Ep3 honda civic. My AC isn't blowing air. I've replaced the motor and checked the fuses. I'm trying to locate my blower motor resistor and cant find it. Could anybody assist with a picture of showing where it's located?
Old 01-10-2017
Registered!!

RustyShackle will become famous soon enough
Re: Blower motor resistor

Old 01-10-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a true blower resistor, it's called a power transistor.
A resistor would be used for 4 fan speeds....this transistor is used to control variable speed.

EDIT: On a hatch SI, the part is essentially the same but may be located a bit higher than the one shown in the video. You might need to get the glovebox to open up all the way to the floor then search through that opening, to find the power transistor.

---------------

Video is bad for my sanity. Here's a few reasons:

The guy in the video is incorrect @1:19, the power transistor controls the ground circuit for the HVAC blower fan motor.

@1:30 he is showing the diagram of a radiator fan motor, which has nothing to do with the interior fan.
(I have access to the exact same diagrams)

Nowhere in this video does he show the correct wiring diagram for the HVAC blower motor he is working on, yet he somehow manages to stumble into the correct wires to jump to make the fan run.

I think he was more concerned with making the video about a problem he had already figured out, than getting the "trivial details" correct.

Last edited by ezone; 01-10-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-10-2017
Registered!!

Ep3Trex is an unknown quantity at this point

I found it, for anyone else having a hard time finding it. its behind the ECU. you have to take out the glovebox and remove/unmount the ECU and drop it down to see it.
Old 01-11-2017
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Make sure you have the replacement mounted correctly back in place (in the flow of the blower fan) before you power it back up.
Old 03-12-2017
Registered!!

rubixyu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CraigW
Make sure you have the replacement mounted correctly back in place (in the flow of the blower fan) before you power it back up.
Hi Craig

For future reference to anyone replacing this unit i bought a new generic unit and connected up the plug to check it was working before fitting everything back together as it was very fiddly.The new unit would only work the fan on high setting.
After many hours of reading and faulting finding i was still scratching my head.
Turns out the heatsink(metal case) of the fan blower motor was touching ground so the fan would only work on one setting.So you are 100% correct the unit has to be fitted in place before testing.
Old 03-12-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rubixyu
Turns out the heatsink(metal case) of the fan blower motor was touching ground so the fan would only work on one setting.
That's an interesting finding! Thanks

The reason we say it has to be installed in the housing is to keep that huge heat sink cooled by the fans airflow while it runs. That keeps the power transistor inside from overheating and opening the TCO (thermal cut out fuse)
Old 03-12-2017
Registered!!

rubixyu is an unknown quantity at this point

I repaired the old TCO after reading the forum and testing it with a multimeter,soldered a piece of fuse wire in.
Plugged the repaired TCO in to the loom which is really tight and the fan would run max speed only no control, purchased a new generic blower motor and fault was the same.
To cut a long story short i pulled the unit away from the chassis and away she goes .