Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Heater is not working correctly-Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kennykenny is an unknown quantity at this point
Heater is not working correctly-Suggestions?

I have a 2005 Honda Civic LX. When I turn on the heater it takes at least 15 minutes before the heater starts warming up the car. Once the heat does warm up, the air only remains warm if the car is moving. If you stop or slow down. the air cools down again. When the speed increases, the heat increases.
Any ideas of what the problem might be? Thanks.
Old 01-06-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Heater is not working correctly-Suggestions?

Coolant level is LOW.
Refill the radiator and burp the air out and the heater should return to normal....until the level becomes low again.

If no obvious coolant leak is seen, the usual root cause is a blown head gasket.
Old 01-07-2017
Registered!!

How do you burp the air out?
Old 01-07-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...reference.html

Everything should be covered in the first couple of posts in that thread
Old 01-07-2017
Registered!!

Prior to reading the responses, I filled up my radiator and overflow reservoir to the proper levels. Now I read about it is necessary to burp the air out. Can I still burp out the air with the levels already full with coolant?
Old 01-07-2017

Yes, that's how I do it---except I use a funnel that fits on the radiator (shown in the longer video in the thread linked above)

EDIT: Linked overheating thread....Post #2, item #2 in that post describes a burping procedure
Old 01-08-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Yes, that's how I do it---except I use a funnel that fits on the radiator (shown in the longer video in the thread linked above)

EDIT: Linked overheating thread....Post #2, item #2 in that post describes a burping procedure

Thank you for the information. I guess that I am really slow, I am not for sure which post that you are referring to in the posts above(i.e. Post 2, item 2). Is it the portion that mentions this from BlueEM2 in the ?

2. You need to bleed the coolant system of air, which consists of jacking up the front of the car while it is cold. Removing the radiator cap, starting the car and turning the heat on full heat full blast. As the radiator drains down you need to refill it with OEM Honda coolant. Once the air is all bled out I lower the car back on its wheels, leave the radiator cap off overnight and top up the radiator in the morning. You will notice it has gone down a little bit top it up, put the rad cap back on and off you go. If however, the overheating problem comes back go to step #3.
Old 01-08-2017
Registered!!

Is there a coolant bleeder valve on my 2005 Honda Civic?
Old 01-08-2017

Originally Posted by Kennykenny
Thank you for the information. I guess that I am really slow, I am not for sure which post that you are referring to in the posts above(i.e. Post 2, item 2). Is it the portion that mentions this from BlueEM2 in the ?

2. You need to bleed the coolant system of air,
Yes

Originally Posted by Kennykenny
Is there a coolant bleeder valve on my 2005 Honda Civic?
No