Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Weird overheating issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017
Texas B***head

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beardman is an unknown quantity at this point
Weird overheating issue

First off yea I've read the pinned threads and several others on HG. Bought this 03 Lx last week. Ran perfect first few days. Started overheating and heater not working so I first thought HG. Changed the thermostat. He said he had already changed the water pump. Still overheated. Also the fan is not kicking on when it gets hot. I know the fan motors are good because they both come on when AC is on. Fuses are good. It was overheating very quick when driving. Here's the weird part. I can start it and let it idle for 30 mins and it won't overheat. Soon as I drive it it overheats. Here's the even weirder part. I was at my buddies and let it run for 30 mins sitting there talking to him about it. I left and drove 15 miles and sat in drive thru line getting lunch then drove 10 miles home, never got above half. I'm stumped. Having my mechanic friend check it out tomorrow. At very least it's just a fan relay or something.
Old 01-05-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Weird overheating issue

so I first thought HG
Why haven't you done this already?
Old 01-06-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

if i suspected hg, i would have went straight to a compression test
Old 01-06-2017
Texas B***head

Originally Posted by ezone
Why haven't you done this already?
I insisted that I buy the gasket kit and pay him to have it done but he wants to check it out first.
Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
if i suspected hg, i would have went straight to a compression test
As I said, my mechanic is going to look at it today.

I had back surgery back in September so I can't do anything like a HG.
Old 01-06-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beardman

I had back surgery back in September so I can't do anything like a HG.
Fair enough. Carry on.
Old 01-06-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I insisted that I buy the gasket kit and pay him to have it done
OE gasket is best. Posters have reported seriously premature failures with aftermarket.

but he wants to check it out first.
If he can't find it, he's not doing the right test.
Compression test won't find the usual bad head gasket on this engine.

Unless someone is very familiar with how these head gaskets fail, most people (mechanics included) don't figure these out on the first try because they will pass every check most people can think to look for-----until the head gasket leak becomes rapid and major.

Read everything in the first post of this thread, and watch the videos:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/340759-overheating-mysterious-coolant-loss-common-causes-reference.html

Old 01-10-2017
Texas B***head

Well turns out it was just the radiator fan switch. Easy fix haha
Old 01-10-2017

Well turns out it was just the radiator fan switch. Easy fix haha
That can't explain why the heater quit blowing hot air.
Old 01-11-2017
Texas B***head

Yea that didn't fix anything but the fan not working. Still overheating and spraying coolant everywhere. I am about 99% sure it's HG now. Going to try to make it to my buddies shop and do a pressure test through the plugs.
Old 01-12-2017
Texas B***head

So I pulled the orielys thermostat I put in and no over heating now. Could that be the problem? I already ordered a Honda thermo.
Old 01-12-2017
Texas B***head

Spoke too soon. FML
Old 01-12-2017

So I pulled the orielys thermostat I put in and no over heating now. Could that be the problem? I already ordered a Honda thermo.
The overheating only went away because you got the cooling system filled again.

For a short time....because as soon as the radiator gets low enough again, the overheating comes right back.
Old 01-12-2017
Texas B***head

So this happened today.

Ordered everything on the HG list from Hondapartscheap.com. A little over $500 after shipping.

Hopefully it doesn't take a week to get here. Already got my car apart down to the valve cover. Can someone point me in the right direction where to get the Honda antifreeze.

Also how do I post pics from my Photobucket. Doesn't seem to be working.

Last edited by Beardman; 01-12-2017 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-12-2017

Also how do I post pics from my Photobucket. Doesn't seem to be working.
grab the direct URL, come back here and click the icon above the text reply box, a popup appears, paste your URL into the box. . Click ok.

Any dealer can sell you Hondas antifreeze.
You can look for Ethylene Glycol that is Silicate free and Borate free..

Make sure you have the head checked for flatness by a qualified machinist.
.002" is the max spec.
If warped the head will need to be resurfaced ----and the finish must be extremely smooth, or the gasket won't be able to seal.

500 for parts seems high. What all did you order?
Old 01-12-2017
Texas B***head

Name:  42B658FA-71CB-4349-AB40-FF1139EAEF25.png
Views: 343
Size:  103.6 KB
Old 01-12-2017
Texas B***head

Name:  3C2E464A-CADB-4BE7-A65A-E85935F37EA1.png
Views: 337
Size:  97.2 KB
Old 01-12-2017
Texas B***head

grab the direct URL, come back here and click the icon above the text reply box, a popup appears, paste your URL into the box. . Click ok.

Any dealer can sell you Hondas antifreeze.
You can look for Ethylene Glycol that is Silicate free and Borate free..

Make sure you have the head checked for flatness by a qualified machinist.
.002" is the max spec.
If warped the head will need to be resurfaced ----and the finish must be extremely smooth, or the gasket won't be able to seal.

500 for parts seems high. What all did you order?
Everything lol. Thanks for the info. Will be taking the head to local machine shop.
Old 01-12-2017

Why a crank pulley?
Old 01-13-2017
Texas B***head

Why a crank pulley?
It was in the list. Figured might as well do it all while it's open. Has 260k miles so why not.
Old 01-13-2017

Oh wow, that's a lot of miles.
Want to stick a set of rings on the pistons while it's apart? (stuck oil rings = oil consumption) Not saying you have to, but now would be the ideal time as the head will be off the block.
Old 01-13-2017
Texas B***head

Oh wow, that's a lot of miles.
Want to stick a set of rings on the pistons while it's apart? (stuck oil rings = oil consumption) Not saying you have to, but now would be the ideal time as the head will be off the block.
Part number? Anything else I should replace?
Old 01-13-2017

Part number?
Parts catalog. And follow the service manual.
Anything else I should replace?
Name:  vzEbGxZh.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  127.1 KB

O ring seal on the oil pump (pressure passage seal)? Plus some RTV. Follow service manual.
Oil pump front seal (front crank seal)?

It's late and I don't want to check on the rod bolts. Check service manual on if they need replaced or not.

Oil pan comes off to do pistons.....D17A1 would need a pan gasket, D17A2 would be RTV.
I think. Check parts catalog?
Old 01-13-2017
Texas B***head

Name:  A6558A55-FA13-4B9B-BAAD-4DF988A6DBF4.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  191.7 KBName:  244F61E8-4254-4EB4-943E-AEB5373F3FD7.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  197.8 KB
Old 01-18-2017
Texas B***head

Intake off
Name:  CD58DFA4-A1CE-4A20-B58C-D92D42588CD3.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  173.6 KB

Head off and head bolts cleaned up. Took head to machine shop to be resurfaced, should get it back tomorrow.

Name:  07F85A6F-289C-4095-9FA5-365FFA1766DC.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  173.6 KB
Name:  DC9C343B-34D4-4742-B675-8A6A956584A8.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  170.0 KB

Still waiting for all the parts to be shipped. -_-

I also ordered a oil pan gasket couple weeks ago that already came in, guess I'll go ahead and change that tomorrow.

If anyone has any tips as to how to clean the tops of the pistons and top of the block where the new gasket will go. I know not to use scotch brite but not sure how to clean without messing anything up.
Old 01-18-2017

The only thing left on the surfaces is carbon and 'black paint' (probably teflon or graphite) from the gasket coating.

Scrape solids gently with a single edge razor blade, wipe clean with brake cleaner/acetone/carb cleaner and a rag. Don't try to get all the dark colors out, that's not a problem. The important part is to get it all smooth so the new gasket can seal on a nice flat surface.

Do not gouge surfaces!

Inspect the machined finish of the block now....note how smoooooth it is. You can see machining marks but you can't really feel them. (The surface of the head was identical.)

When you get the head back, its freshly machined surface needs to be that smooth also. My local machine shop can't get this correct, so I have been sending my work to the next big city almost an hour away. If the machined surface is too rough, it can cause leakage as the coating on the MLS style gasket can't fill in those (seemingly minor) imperfections.

A belt sander finish used to be acceptable when working with a composite head gasket, but is not acceptable for an MLS gasket.

With the head off you can spin the crank to inspect cylinder walls if you would like to.

I try to wipe a light smear of oil around the exposed cylinder walls with your finger so they don't rust while apart, and to help rings sealing for startup.

I don't really worry about cleaning piston tops during a plain head gasket job. Maybe knock off the tall and loose stuff.

DO remove all traces of oil and coolant out of the head bolt holes in the block. You can crack the block if you tighten bolts down on top of liquids trapped in those holes.

I always try to remove all traces of spilled oil from the water jacket surrounding the cylinders in the block.
Old 01-19-2017
Texas B***head

The only thing left on the surfaces is carbon and 'black paint' (probably teflon or graphite) from the gasket coating.

Scrape solids gently with a single edge razor blade, wipe clean with brake cleaner/acetone/carb cleaner and a rag. Don't try to get all the dark colors out, that's not a problem. The important part is to get it all smooth so the new gasket can seal on a nice flat surface.

Do not gouge surfaces!

Inspect the machined finish of the block now....note how smoooooth it is. You can see machining marks but you can't really feel them. (The surface of the head was identical.)

When you get the head back, its freshly machined surface needs to be that smooth also. My local machine shop can't get this correct, so I have been sending my work to the next big city almost an hour away. If the machined surface is too rough, it can cause leakage as the coating on the MLS style gasket can't fill in those (seemingly minor) imperfections.

A belt sander finish used to be acceptable when working with a composite head gasket, but is not acceptable for an MLS gasket.

With the head off you can spin the crank to inspect cylinder walls if you would like to.

I try to wipe a light smear of oil around the exposed cylinder walls with your finger so they don't rust while apart, and to help rings sealing for startup.

I don't really worry about cleaning piston tops during a plain head gasket job. Maybe knock off the tall and loose stuff.

DO remove all traces of oil and coolant out of the head bolt holes in the block. You can crack the block if you tighten bolts down on top of liquids trapped in those holes.

I always try to remove all traces of spilled oil from the water jacket surrounding the cylinders in the block.
Thanks for the info man. Got the head back, charged $40 to resurface. Not bad at all, surface is almost perfect.
Name:  4E03547D-290C-4FFD-96EA-A24E22B70198.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  139.1 KB
Name:  F1222C61-451E-460E-AB72-397F58135C55.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  120.2 KB
Old 02-03-2017
Texas B***head

Well finally got her back together. Lost the throttle cable stay bracket so had to order one off eBay. Also, I feel ashamed to admit this, I left 2 blue paper towels in the 2 middle cylinders...forgot to take them out before the head went on. Well there was some clanking noise on first startup then it died, started it again and revved to about 3k and I assume it blew it all out lol. Thank god I don't have a cat it went straight out the back. But she's running great now, no more overheating.

Name:  ECC6E4D3-FF2D-4C04-B1EA-30478F892AA7.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  159.3 KB
Name:  2E9A9E1D-166C-429B-81CE-BAC95FCE659A.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  187.3 KB
Name:  F33CE8A4-0F7A-4895-AEC6-AA07CA78D401.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  190.3 KB
Old 02-03-2017
Registered!!

RustyShackle will become famous soon enough

Thank god I don't have a cat it went straight out the back

Name:  DswD7p7.gif
Views: 28
Size:  860.3 KB
Old 02-03-2017

I left 2 blue paper towels in the 2 middle cylinders...forgot to take them out before the head went on. Well there was some clanking noise
Old 02-03-2017
Texas B***head

I know lol. At least it wasn't a 10mm socket