Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 Honda Civic Lx, Errors : P0141 and P0135

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worriedmansos is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 Honda Civic Lx, Errors : P0141 and P0135

So I have a 2001 Honda Civic lx, it has 220k miles. It runs great and I want to legally have it on the road again. I'm trying to get it Smogged and registered again because it had been sitting in the driveway for a year.
Recently I changed the Spark Plugs the Alternator as well as the Thermostat and the O2 sensors and Battery.
The check engine light came on, Received the O2 sensor codes, I replaced the O2 sensors and I'm still getting the same 2 codes (P0141 and P0135). Not sure what to do now. I've been researching and I've seen that you should reset the ECU. I've also seen replacing the CAT. I'm not sure I want to drop too much money on parts I don't need. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Worriedmansos; 12-31-2016 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-31-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2001 Honda Civic Lx, Errors : P0141 and P0135

Got other codes?
Got blown fuse #4?

Installed the cheapest O2 sensors DangerZone sells?
Hope you saved your old sensors, they may not be bad.

Got a volt/ohm meter and know how to use it?
Old 12-31-2016
Registered!!

No other codes, replaced fuse number 4 already. I have botch O2 sensors from Oreillys which were the most expensive they had. I have a Volt/ohm meter and sorta know how to use it.
Old 12-31-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Botch has had problems with wrong specs or wrong applications sometimes for these cars......I won't use that brand in Hondas. Some people reported no issues, others pull their hair out because brand new sensors caused more fault codes.

Hondas OEM sensors were NTK or DENSO. I always urge people to stick with the original brands.

Each sensor has one pair of wires of like color, ohm check on those and see what you get.

Same check for original sensors. Compare results.

I have a cheat sheet with some real world sensor values on a different laptop, it's at work and it's closed for the weekend. Sorry.

Next would be to verify each sensor receives 12v+ for the heater circuit when it's supposed to, and then check the PCM is controlling the ground side of the heater circuit while the engine is running....

Does the speedometer work?
Does the alternator still charge OK? (both of these share the same 12v+ source as the O2 sensors but come from different branches of a splice pack on top of the valve cover)
Old 01-01-2017
Registered!!

That makes sense about the O2 sensors. I am gonna look into getting the original brand.
Also, my speedometer does not work. My alternator was charging but my battery light recently came on.
What do you suggest I do, should I go get the original brand sensors first then go from there??
Old 01-01-2017

Front O2
Rear O2
ELD
Cruise
EVAP CVS
EVAP BPS
EVAP PURGE
Alternator
VSS

All those items share a power source from the same fuse #4. If that fuse blows, all those things quit working.

What do YOU think you should do next?
Old 01-01-2017
Registered!!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
guitarsnlikker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone

What do YOU think you should do next?
stock up on good liquor sample it straight with 1 ice cube and plug in the most bitchin' guitar you have and let 'er rip! That's what I would do.
Old 01-01-2017

Originally Posted by guitarsnlikker
stock up on good liquor sample it straight with 1 ice cube and plug in the most bitchin' guitar you have and let 'er rip! That's what I would do.
I'll cover vocals if someone can get the damn microphone tuned right!