Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2002 Civic EX Sedan Automatic Vtec: Heater problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MamaBear2015 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2002 Civic EX Sedan Automatic Vtec: Heater problem

Is this even possible? The first tank of gas after the head gasket job, and I got 38.3 MPG in half city - half hwy driving?!

Could that gasket have been reducing MPG in other ways, even before it started causing the coolant leak?

Wow. I had no idea this car was even capable of that!
Old 03-19-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Hard to tell. If something was amiss causing it to run inefficiently and got corrected during the work, then sure, but the typical head gasket seep problem on this engine doesn't usually kill off gas mileage.

If the head had to be machined, that could have a little bit of an effect on how it runs.

Weather break, it has been a lot warmer than a couple months ago?
Maybe your driving habits changed a little?

My own car can give me anywhere from low 20s to over 50 MPG depending on how I drive and which tires/wheels I have bolted on.

Did a Honda dealership do the work?
Old 03-19-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MamaBear2015 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Hard to tell. If something was amiss causing it to run inefficiently and got corrected during the work, then sure, but the typical head gasket seep problem on this engine doesn't usually kill off gas mileage.

If the head had to be machined, that could have a little bit of an effect on how it runs.

Weather break, it has been a lot warmer than a couple months ago?
Yeah but it never got more than 35.5 MPG, since we got it in August 2015.

Maybe your driving habits changed a little?
Nope. I'm fairly light footed anyway. Not a hypermiler or anything, by any means.

My own car can give me anywhere from low 20s to over 50 MPG depending on how I drive and which tires/wheels I have bolted on.
I've almost never gotten less than 28 with this one, and that was from idling for an hour or so, on a tankful, with my partner waiting in the car for me, in weather that was too hot or cold to wait in, with the engine off.

[/QUOTE]Did a Honda dealership do the work?[/QUOTE]

Nope. A highly rated local mechanic shop.