Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Crank seal oil leak replacement cost

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SlowboyZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Crank seal oil leak replacement cost

I went to see my mechanic for a small oil leak i've been ignoring. He quoted me $320 to change the crank seal and timing belt. Since he's going to replace the timing belt, what other parts might need replacing ?
Old 12-05-2016
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Crank seal oil leak replacement cost

That's a good price.

I'd consider replacing the water pump, tensioner, cam seal, 2 accessory belts, thermostat and coolant as well while in there. Then you would be good for another 100k miles.
Old 12-05-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SlowboyZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NDNV
That's a good price.

I'd consider replacing the water pump, tensioner, cam seal, 2 accessory belts, thermostat and coolant as well while in there. Then you would be good for another 100k miles.
Is the crank seal in the tenioner? im ordering the Gates timing belt kit w/ water pump. I want to make sure I have all the parts for my mechanic.
Old 12-05-2016
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

no the crank seal is in behind the crank pulley
Old 12-05-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

It may be the oil pump needs resealed instead of (or in addition to) the front shaft seals. Beware.
Without teardown and inspection, it's darn hard to tell.

Recent, this one had 180,000 miles on it and was leaking bad enough to soak the frame and blow oil all under the car:
Name:  rklOkGV.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  718.6 KB

Name:  vzEbGxZ.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  4.35 MB
Old 12-10-2016
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
dsm482 has a spectacular aura aboutdsm482 has a spectacular aura about

i did both the crank seal.. and oil pump. cam seal..
on mine it was the oil pump seal for sure.. there is specific gasket there that fails.

How do i know these.. I did the crank seal first.. then i still had oil leak , so i had do the job 3 times.. hey but labor is cheap .. its called my back)