Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 civic ex power issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G.gibby is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 civic ex power issues

Recently was driving on the interstate for roughly an hour when my gauges all just dropped to zero on speed, temperature dropped, fuel gauge went to zero and the digital odometer started fluctuating in and out. Pulled over at a gas station car sat for probably 45 mins I assumed the battery was dead so was waiting for a jump went to turn it over and it just started right back up No issues got a half mile down the road when the gauges started up again dash lights came on then the radio shut off and the car just kind of faded out of power so I pulled over and shut it off and got it towed home anyone able to point me in a starting direction with what this issue could be?
Old 12-04-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2001 civic ex power issues

Alternator couldn't charge enough to keep the car running, and the battery ran down. Car quit when it ran out of battery power.

Loose alternator belt? (does it squeal loud after the engine starts up?)
Bad alternator that quit charging?

Battery will need charged up and tested too.
Old 12-05-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CRXTILLIDIE is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2001 civic ex power issues

The ignition issue. This happened to me once already. I was stopped at a light. Picked my knee up a little on the brake and tapped my key just a tiny bit. The car turned off. I'd been having a charging system light for a long time so I about **** myself thinking I was gonna have to push my car out of the intersection.
But luckily my first instinct was to put it in park and try to start it any way. It started and has not been an issue since but im aware that the ignition will need replacing.
#Eric the car guy (on you tube) has a short video about it.
Ps. That heavy *** keychain (w/all the rabbit foots, "I heart JDM", and TIEN suspension, paraphernalia) hanging from your ignition switch is the culprit.