Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

The Fan Isn't Blowing Out of My Center Vents

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RyanHostetler is an unknown quantity at this point
The Fan Isn't Blowing Out of My Center Vents

The fan recently stopped blowing out of the center vents in my 2005 Civic EX. It blows very hard out of the side and floor vents (so much that my feet BURN UP), but little-to-nothing comes out of the center. I have tried toggling with the switch and putting it on every setting from all floor to defrost and in no situation does any significant air come out of the center vents. What could be wrong here and how do I fix it?
Old 12-02-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Fan Isn't Blowing Out of My Center Vents

Did it change air flow from floor vents to windshield vents OK?
That would indicate the "mode' servo motor runs....next lay your head on the drivers floor and look up to the side of the heater housing in the dash, check that all of the linkages that servo has to move are still attached and moving, none popped off.
(I'd guess there are probably 3 different sets of linkages to control 3 different 'doors' inside the heater housing)

There may be any combination of levers, cams, pins, and links to operate all of the doors inside the box from one single servo.

Haven't found any decent pics from a 7th gen Civic yet, but here's one from an old Prelude just to give an idea of how much can be attached to one motor:
Old 12-02-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Did it change air flow from floor vents to windshield vents OK?
That would indicate the "mode' servo motor runs....next lay your head on the drivers floor and look up to the side of the heater housing in the dash, check that all of the linkages that servo has to move are still attached and moving, none popped off.
(I'd guess there are probably 3 different sets of linkages to control 3 different 'doors' inside the heater housing)

There may be any combination of levers, cams, pins, and links to operate all of the doors inside the box from one single servo.

Haven't found any decent pics from a 7th gen Civic yet, but here's one from an old Prelude just to give an idea of how much can be attached to one motor:
I just checked and NO it does not change at all from floor vents to windshield vents. I get the same response no matter how I turn the vent ****.
Old 12-02-2016
Registered!!

Does the fact that I see no change when I turn the **** indicate that I should replace the mode servo motor or could it be something else?
Old 12-02-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RyanHostetler
I just checked and NO it does not change at all from floor vents to windshield vents. I get the same response no matter how I turn the vent ****.
Ok so the servo isn't moving at all?

lay your head on the drivers floor and look up to the side of the heater housing in the dash...find the mode motor somewhere above the gas pedal......maybe push/pull on the linkage or tap on the motor to see if the motor is just stuck and will start moving on its own again.

If not, try doing the HVAC panel self-diagnosis (search) and see if it gives any fault codes related to that servo, then I'd probably be electrical testing at the mode door actuator.

Could just be a bad motor, but I like to be as sure as possible before ordering stuff that costs money.