Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Blower Motor Quit

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Blower Motor Quit

my heater/fan/blower motor all of a sudden died, does not work at all on any fan setting,

tested #12 40 amp fuse under the hood (heater motor)
tested #14 10 amp fuse under dash

both these test good,
where do i go from here?

should i try hooking the fan up directly to the battery?
Old 12-01-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Blower Motor Quit

Beat on the bottom of the blower motor...no change?
Blower power transistor? The usual culprit.
Craig will say to watch the fan blade when you turn it on, see if it barely turns. (I still haven't checked this on a bad one)

Get out your $3 test light.....

Test for power and ground at the blower motor. If you have power on both sides of the motor then it's missing the ground, which should be supplied by the transistor. There's more checks you can do from there, but at that point I just plug in another because I have test units and its quicker.
Old 12-02-2016
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone
Blower power transistor? The usual culprit.
yeah thats what i was thinking,

i guess i will pull it and test it out
Old 12-02-2016
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Try inspecting the fan blades to watch for slight/brief movement when key 1st turned to II, with then fan switch set to on.

If it does move..... then the TCO on transistor is open.
Old 12-02-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
Try inspecting the fan blades to watch for slight/brief movement when key 1st turned to II, with then fan switch set to on.

If it does move..... then the TCO on transistor is open.
thanks,

when i get a chance to look at it next i think i am going to jump the pins in the transistor to bypass it and make sure the blower works first, if i jump pins 2 and 4 on that connector i think the blower should run when i turn the key on
Old 12-02-2016
Registered!!

thanks all,

shorted pins 2 and 4 on the transistor connector, turned the key on and the blower ran perfectly fine, so that was an obvious indication the problem is the transistor, i will replace it
Old 12-03-2016

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Make sure you have it mounted into place before testing.
Old 12-04-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
Make sure you have it mounted into place before testing.
yeah i will,

for now i have done a "poor mans fix" because i had the parts on hand, i have temporarily run two wires from the 4 pin connector out to the shifter area and hooked the wires up to a toggle switch,

this at least lets me turn the blower on and off (highest speed only),

doesn't look so great but will get me by till i get a chance to get the part, can't really drive too well here right now without the defroster going,
Old 12-05-2016

If the TCO IS open, you could grab one pretty cheap and repair your transistor.
Old 12-05-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

^ I have test units with a regular car fuse jumpered in place of the open TCO.
Old 12-05-2016
Registered!!

^ I have test units with a regular car fuse jumpered in place of the open TCO.
any pics of this?

i thought about soldering a resistor between the 2 posts?
Old 12-05-2016

Originally Posted by mikey1
any pics of this?

i thought about soldering a resistor between the 2 posts?
The TCO is a fuse, not a resistor.
IDK if a resistor would make it work, and what value resistor are you thinking you would use?

I just soldered a couple lengths of wire to the TCO terminals and connected a regular ATO fuse to those (spade terminals crimped on the wires), like a 10 amp or something handy. Fuse is hanging out the side of the assembly.
I only use it for testing though, I'm not running the fan full time with it that way.

For that matter, you could just jump the TCO with a plain wire for testing. Paper clip.

Old 12-06-2016
Registered!!

The TCO is a fuse, not a resistor.
IDK if a resistor would make it work, and what value resistor are you thinking you would use?

I just soldered a couple lengths of wire to the TCO terminals and connected a regular ATO fuse to those (spade terminals crimped on the wires), like a 10 amp or something handy. Fuse is hanging out the side of the assembly.
I only use it for testing though, I'm not running the fan full time with it that way.

For that matter, you could just jump the TCO with a plain wire for testing. Paper clip.

thinking 1ohm.....i saw this.....

http://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-c...istor-2041582/
Old 12-06-2016

This is now a test unit:

Name:  fsMrVSG.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  975.6 KB