Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Need help 2005 civic LX auto trans swap!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marcus Flambo is an unknown quantity at this point
Need help 2005 civic LX auto trans swap!!!

hey, i got a 2005 Honda civic LX 1.7L automatic. got the car from a friend for free mint body smooth engine only thing is trans is slipping. i took the car to Aamco they diagnosed and said the shift solenoid was no good therefore gears was not shifting causing the clutch to burn now the clutch is shot. they recommend i rebuild trans or replace. i purchased a JDM trans for $250, but been hearing a lot of speculation about engine lights and shifting issues and torque converter issues etc... i have a Canadian assembled civic LX that came with a automatic BMXA trans, the JDM trans i purchased is a SLXA trans and torque converter. what i would like to know is can i just make the swap and have a clean smooth transaction (no engine lights no issues)??? or is there certain things i should do or buy and replace to have it done right??? also will i have an issue with the JDM torque converter or will it function fine??? should i switch any sensors or solenoids over or does JDM ones work just fine???
Old 11-21-2016
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Need help 2005 civic LX auto trans swap!!!

What is the code that you got that told you the transmission is bad? In the format PXXXX.
Old 11-21-2016
Registered!!

It was about a month or two ago I scanned it at first I got a shift solenoid code then I got a torque converter code, not sure what the code numbers were I can rescan car and get back to you with the actual codes...
Old 11-22-2016
Registered!!

NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

I would suggest you try to get the codes again. I would not want the issue to be just electrical like a solenoid/sensor before you go ahead and reman the trans.
Old 11-22-2016
Registered!!

Hey I got a chance to scan the code, it's only one code: P0973 - shift solenoid A control circuit low. And the drive shifter indicator is blinking green on the cluster.
Old 11-22-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marcus Flambo
P0973 - shift solenoid A control circuit low.
The definition I have is "a short in the shift solenoid valve A circuit"

This fault is strictly an electrical problem, it is not caused by an internal transmission mechanical fault.

You do not need to replace the transmission for this code.
Old 11-22-2016
Registered!!

I took the car to Aamco they said the clutch was burnt and that's y I should replace the trans. Do u have any pointers as to how I should go about figuring out the electrical issue?
Old 11-22-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Aamco doesn't immediately get my vote of confidence.
Does it need a trans? IDK, but you should figure it out for yourself.
If the shift solenoid isn't working it's not gonna drive/shift correctly, that's certain.

Get a good service manual that covers troubleshooting for this code.
The computer believes there is a short in the circuit for that solenoid.

Test to verify this is true, and test to figure out where the problem lies.

Solenoid, wiring, or computer?

I'd first check resistance of the part in question.
The other half of the solenoid pair is probably supposed to be identical, so that is the guide I would use if I didn't have actual specs....the only spec I can find equates to 'no less than 12 ohms' (so I'm guessing maybe 12-20 ohms is acceptable?)

If that pans out, then wiring checks as per the FSM would be done next.

Does the trans fluid stink like hell, is it dark?
Old 11-22-2016

Quick-n-dirty check: Erase fault codes.

Unplug the connector for the solenoid pair (solenoids A and B share the same connector)

Start engine, bla bla bla, get the check engine light on and the D light flashing so you know codes are set.

Read codes. Got P0974 and P0977 now? That's the same A solenoid, fault is 'open circuit'. Plus the P0977 code is for the B solenoid, open circuit.
Bingo, that just verified the PCM is ok, the wiring is OK, and the problem should be a shorted solenoid A.
Old 11-23-2016
Registered!!

Here is some more info for your P0973 code... http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/hon...-and-B-tests-1

Would be great if all you need is a new A B Solenoid to solve this.