Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Fuel leak 04 civic (1.7l)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shrike88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Fuel leak 04 civic (1.7l)

I found a fuel leak in my car after replacing some coolant lines. Leak is in some form of connector on the passenger side firewall where the main lines connect to fuel hose. I took some pictures. Any thoughts? Don't know if there's anything special about this connector.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-11-16-17-05-45.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	89240   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-11-16-17-06-26.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	89241  
Old 11-16-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fuel leak 04 civic (1.7l)

May want to remove the safety cover, and the bracket holding the other tubing to it, and see if the leak is coming from someplace other than the fitting.....Might be full of rust or something. Looks like there's rust on other stuff in the vicinity.

If leak is at the actual fitting, take apart the fuel supply line quick connect fitting to inspect the condition of the steel fuel supply line.

If the steel line is in good shape then maybe try getting another plastic fuel tube that goes from that connection point to the engine.
Old 11-17-2016
Registered!!

OneJzSupra is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
May want to remove the safety cover, and the bracket holding the other tubing to it, and see if the leak is coming from someplace other than the fitting.....Might be full of rust or something. Looks like there's rust on other stuff in the vicinity.

If leak is at the actual fitting, take apart the fuel supply line quick connect fitting to inspect the condition of the steel fuel supply line.

If the steel line is in good shape then maybe try getting another plastic fuel tube that goes from that connection point to the engine.
Just be careful messing around with the metal pipe, if there's that much rust you could easily crush that pipe. I would do what ezone state and then report back here when done.

Last edited by OneJzSupra; 11-17-2016 at 03:08 AM.
Old 11-17-2016
Registered!!

Opened it up and the fuel line was rusted right out for the last inch and a half on the bottom line (return line?). Didn't feel like replacing the entire fuel line so snipped the soft line on the other side of the connector and used a pipe cutter to cut the rusted part off. Put a hose clamp on the tewo and bypassed the connector completely.

Thanks for the responses. I'm not car saavy yet (learned a hell of a lot after replacing the rear coolant pipe) so wasn't sure what that bracket was.
Old 11-17-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Rusting out up that high would be a first for me.
I'm in the US rust belt, most of the rusted out lines I get to see are under the car. Brake and fuel.

That fuel system does not have a return line. It only has a high pressure line to the rail, and a vapor line from the purge solenoid to the emissions canister.

If you had to patch the pressure line, you need to use reinforced hose that will withstand higher than 60 PSI and is made to be used with gasoline.
Old 11-17-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Rusting out up that high would be a first for me.
I'm in the US rust belt, most of the rusted out lines I get to see are under the car. Brake and fuel.

That fuel system does not have a return line. It only has a high pressure line to the rail, and a vapor line from the purge solenoid to the emissions canister.

If you had to patch the pressure line, you need to use reinforced hose that will withstand higher than 60 PSI and is made to be used with gasoline.
I'm in Nova Scotia. Ocean salt and Canadian winter makes everything rusty. Although in this case I'd say the rust was caused by the leak.

Was definitely the high pressure line. I used the existing line that was there so it's rated properly.