Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Where to access hoses for heater core flush?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vanhorng is an unknown quantity at this point
Where to access hoses for heater core flush?

All,

I have a 2001 civic EX, which takes a long time to start putting out heat and it is starting to get cold.

I spent some time yesterday trying to get to the heater core hoses going into the firewall without having to remove everything under the sun under the hood. My intention is to try to flush the heater core.

I unscrewed the cruise control module from the bracket and was able to reach the hoses, but not very well. I was able to get the out-take clamp slide down, but was having trouble getting the hose off, and the room to get to the in-take hose was even less.

How have people done it on here? I have the Haynes manual, and any picture I have seen in the book must have been taken with the engine out. At that point, anything is easy.

Looking for some advice.
Old 11-14-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to access hoses for heater core flush?

It's probably a lot easier to take the hoses off at the engine instead of the firewall.

Poor heater output is one of the many symptoms of low coolant/ trapped air/ blown head gasket.
Old 11-15-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vanhorng is an unknown quantity at this point

I got a chance to look at where the hoses connect to the engine, and 1 of the 2 hoses would be easier to get to, but not the other.

I also noticed what appears to be a small leak around one of the hoses from the radiator very near to the thermostat. I will need to investigate that one, too.

One other question, however, is that after I attempted to remove one of the hoses from the firewall that I mentioned earlier, I have now noticed that my car starts to heat up more than normal if I do not have heat flowing. This has never happened before. I thought i got the hose clamp back on pretty well.

If i damaged the hose in my attempt to remove it, could this cause the potential overheating I am seeing?
Old 11-15-2016
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

insufficient flow in the coolant system due to low coolant level or the thermostat being stuck will lead to overheating because there is a bubble of air preventing the flow of coolant.

You mentioned a leaking hose.

-Step One fix the hose.
-step two top up the coolant in the rad. to full.
-run the car with the radiator cap off. and the heat blowing at max in the cab.
-if the level drops in the radiator top it up.
-continue to do so until you reach operating temperature.

-cap up the rad.
-go for a hard rip and watch the temperature gauge.

-if you see overheating pull over, wait until the car is cold and open the radiator cap to check level.

If everything goes well keep an eye on your level everyday for a week.

if you pull over and it is overheating and the level is low, there is another issue (another leak, a blown head gasket).

if it is over heating and the level is on full there is probably a thermostat issue or a fan issue.

Last edited by mac25; 11-16-2016 at 12:13 AM.
Old 11-15-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vanhorng
I got a chance to look at where the hoses connect to the engine, and 1 of the 2 hoses would be easier to get to, but not the other.

I also noticed what appears to be a small leak around one of the hoses from the radiator very near to the thermostat. I will need to investigate that one, too.

One other question, however, is that after I attempted to remove one of the hoses from the firewall that I mentioned earlier, I have now noticed that my car starts to heat up more than normal if I do not have heat flowing. This has never happened before. I thought i got the hose clamp back on pretty well.

If i damaged the hose in my attempt to remove it, could this cause the potential overheating I am seeing?

Have you checked the fluid level inside the radiator yet? See reply from Mac above.