Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Alternator Flickering Light Persists- 7th Gen Civi

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MoneyPitCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Alternator Flickering Light Persists- 7th Gen Civi

Hi Guys,
I have a 2001 7th Generation Honda Civic EX Manual Transmission. I'm writing here because I've exhausted reading other forum postings and online videos. ISSUE: I'm getting an intermittent flickering on/off battery/alternator charging light in my Dash. I have checked all forums on Civic boards, youtube, etc. and I have done the following to remedy:

-Replaced Alternator (charges well under load test via voltage meter 13.8-14.25 volts)- the previous alternator wasn't keeping up with charging under load with the AC compressor engaged so I replaced it.
-Replaced power steering belt, serpentine belt (no slippage, no rubbing)
-Replaced old battery (holds good charge with voltage meter 12.68 plus voltage)- old battery was holding voltage but was only giving 50 Cold Cranking Amps on start up against it's 500 CCA rating...
-checked all fuses, (under hood and cabin fuse box)
-upgraded the grounds to 6 gauge wires (Battery to chassis, tranny to chassis, engine block to chassis.)
-reset the ECU
-There are no other symptoms other than the flickering Alternator Light. Special note * When it does flicker It only happens between the lag time between shifting up or down in gears (manual transmission). I can't get it to flicker when applying load when it's just sitting in the driveway idling.
-I installed an aftermarket stereo and speakers, but they are very small and don't require a amp; all wires including ground were installed correctly.

Does anyone have a any ideas on here? The only other thing I can think of is a bad multiplex or ECU, both of which are $$$ and might not be the issue at all being that the only symptom is the flickering light.

I'm about to push the car off a cliff.
Thanks,
Brad
Old 11-11-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Alternator Flickering Light Persists- 7th Gen Civi

Replaced Alternator (charges well under load test via voltage meter 13.8-14.25 volts)- the previous alternator wasn't keeping up with charging under load with the AC compressor engaged so I replaced it.
If this is when the problems began, I'd say it's likely a bad reman. Replace it again and again until you get one that keeps the car happy?
Old 11-15-2016
Registered!!

OneJzSupra is an unknown quantity at this point

Trying looking at the cable that goes to the fuse block. I once asked Honda about replacement cables and was told that it was apart of the main harness. So I said **** that and pulled apart the cables and made new cables. The only down fall is that I don't have a replacement for that cable (The one that goes to the fuse block) and I know there is some corrosion in that cable.
Old 11-15-2016
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Make sure you belt is tight enough, I know it is an awkward wingnut system, which can feel tight by hand but you really need to crank it on with either a set of pliers or a custom made or bought wingnut socket.
Old 11-16-2016
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

I solved the flicking battery light by replacing the stripped adjusting bolt for the alternator plus replacing the alternator itself.
Old 12-05-2016
Registered!!

CRXTILLIDIE is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OneJzSupra
Trying looking at the cabl... The only down fall is that I don't have a replacement for that cable (The one that goes to the fuse block) and I know there is some corrosion in that cable.
After removing negative battery cable: Remove the cables from the fuse box via the Phillips screws .
Spray vinegar on the exposed copper. Let it soak in a bit and perhaps use a toothbrush to rub it down into the crevices. Then dry it off and they're brand new.

WARNING: Do not get vinegar into the fuse box. It might ruin some relays by shorting them out.