Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

crank shaft pulley

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
denti is an unknown quantity at this point
crank shaft pulley

So i finally got the bolt of but i cannot seem to get the pulley off? i've walked it back about 1/8 and it slides in and out about a 1/8 inch but will not slide completely off. is there something else holding it in? the woodruff key is off as well

TIA
Old 10-21-2016
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: crank shaft pulley

That thing should come right off after you take the bolt off.

Just a quick dummy check, you did take all the timing covers and whatnot off, yeah?
Old 10-21-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
That thing should come right off after you take the bolt off.
agreed, it just pulls off, use both hands one on each side,

Just a quick dummy check, you did take all the timing covers and whatnot off, yeah?
can't remove the bottom cover until you remove the pulley

did you remove both drive belts first?
Old 10-21-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
denti is an unknown quantity at this point

yup, covers comes off after the pulley.

thanks, guess i'll keep at it and try to walk it off some more but it definetely feels like it's hung on up something or catching something
Old 10-21-2016
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by denti
yup, covers comes off after the pulley.

thanks, guess i'll keep at it and try to walk it off some more but it definetely feels like it's hung on up something or catching something
Spray the crankshaft area/pulley with PB blaster, allow to soak for half an hour, then try to lightly wiggle (shim) it side to side while simultaneously pulling it toward you during removal. IIRC I had a bit of trouble with mine too and ended up using a arubber mallet to lightly tap around the perimiter of the pulley and then wiggling it side to side + pulling off.

Not sure if this will work but, hopefully others may know: Spray the crankshaft area/pulley with PB blaster and rent (free) a gear puller at Autozone or O'Reilly's. Also, decent, inexpensive ones are available at Harbour Freight. A gear puller applies even pressure on the gear/pulley during removal. For this option it looks like the crank-bolt should be threaded half way in for the gear puller's center bolt to mate against.

As said, it should just pull right off after the crank bolt and key removed. Possibly, either rust or heat (expansion) may be the reason it's not coming off easily.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 10-21-2016 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-21-2016
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikey1
can't remove the bottom cover until you remove the pulley
it's been a while since I've taken that apart. My mistake,
Old 10-22-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Rust. I would wiggle it side to side using two pry bars gently.

Maybe thread the bolt back in a couple turns just so the pulley won't drop to the floor when it lets go.