Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

replace front bearing and hub

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016
Registered!!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
guitarsnlikker is an unknown quantity at this point
replace front bearing and hub

my bearings are starting to go. Is it necessary to replace the front hub with the bearings or can I replace the front bearings only and reuse the hubs? thanks.
Old 10-17-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: replace front bearing and hub

i replaced my wheel bearings only,

but you need access to a press to push them in and out
Old 10-17-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Bearings only. Definitely a "knuckle off, press operation" unless you know someone with a hub shark tool.

----------

Hubs are to be reused, but after it is pressed out of the bearing there will be one race stuck on it and you have to get the bearing race off of it.

I make a slice deep into the race with a cutoff wheel then whack it with a chisel to crack it and then it slides right off.

If you need to replace any of the lug studs, now is the time
Old 10-18-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone

If you need to replace any of the lug studs, now is the time
its also a good time to replace the lower ball joint, depending on its age, mine still seemed fine, but i replaced them anyway because of age
Old 10-19-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1
its also a good time to replace the lower ball joint, depending on its age, mine still seemed fine, but i replaced them anyway because of age
thanks. I did replace mine recently with honda OEM ball joints but noticed a microscopic tear in both boots that lets some grease out on occasion. I am looking for quality replacement boots now.
Old 10-19-2016
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Here is an incomplete DIY:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...riveshaft.html
Old 10-23-2016
Registered!!

Well I was going to try to press the bearings in myself using the HF tool for 85$. I decided to have local mechanic do it for 55$ for both front bearings. what a deal. He did a great job, I put it all back together and voila goodbye to my last remaining front end clunks. Not bad I got 230K miles out of those bearings. I also noticed I had some wheel cover tangs snapped off so they were not holding on to the wheel as tightly as they should that was also causing some front end rattling which was driving me crazy. I took them all off. car is good as new and quiet as possible. Now all I got to do is wait for the next noise to show up.
Old 10-24-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by guitarsnlikker
Now all I got to do is wait for the next noise to show up.
Hopefully its a long time before that happens.. I hate random noises/problems they drive me nuts! specially if I just get done fixing one thing and everything feels "ok"
Save
Old 10-25-2016
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

If you had the knuckles off of the struts you should also get the front end aligned. There is enough slop in the bolt holes to affect camber which will mess with the toe which will cause tire wear if it is not correct.
Old 10-25-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mcnoople
If you had the knuckles off of the struts you should also get the front end aligned. There is enough slop in the bolt holes to affect camber which will mess with the toe which will cause tire wear if it is not correct.
Yes I got it aligned it wasn't out that bad but bad enough. thank you.