Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Misfire lack of power

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laycifer36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Misfire lack of power

Driving down the highway my 2002 honda civic ex starting driving horribly. Got it home the codes that came up were p0304, p0303, p0300, p1298. It idles in park beautifully. Take off and give it gas it has no power, and sounds like there's no exhaust on it. If you turn or come to a stop it bogs out and dies. Changed spark plugs they were white, switched 1 and 2 coils to 3 and 4. Reset codes. It has been drove about 5 miles since cleared and it still runs the same and the check engine light hasn't came back on. I'm afraid to drive it anymore. Please help!
Old 10-13-2016
Registered!!

Re: Misfire lack of power

Originally Posted by Laycifer36
Driving down the highway my 2002 honda civic ex starting driving horribly. Got it home the codes that came up were p0304, p0303, p0300, p1298. It idles in park beautifully. Take off and give it gas it has no power, and sounds like there's no exhaust on it. If you turn or come to a stop it bogs out and dies. Changed spark plugs they were white, switched 1 and 2 coils to 3 and 4. Reset codes. It has been drove about 5 miles since cleared and it still runs the same and the check engine light hasn't came back on. I'm afraid to drive it anymore. Please help!
Head gasket, head resurfaced, water pump, all timing components, we're all replaced 20,000 ago.
Old 10-13-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

P1298 should be totally unrelated to the misfire codes and bad running complaint.

Check for excess backpressure/clogged cat/restricted exhaust?

compression test?
Old 10-14-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
P1298 should be totally unrelated to the misfire codes and bad running complaint.

Check for excess backpressure/clogged cat/restricted exhaust?

compression test?
We're going to take the exhaust down tonight to check it. I also found my oil leak. My vvt solenoid gasket was dry rotted. Once that comes in I'll check compression. Thank you for your reply!
Old 10-14-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

It's VTEC, and there are a pair of gaskets in that unit that typically harden, leak, and need replaced, but Honda does not list the upper one in the parts catalog. You have to go back several years in the catalog to find the second gasket listing.

Silver bullet: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ml#post4675119