Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Fuel Pump and assembly replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yossi is an unknown quantity at this point
Fuel Pump and assembly replacement

my 02 lx with 197k has a fuel pump going. I am watching the videos and it looks like there is an assembly and within the assembly there is the pump and a filter. It looks a bit complicated to take part to replace just the pump.

I see that they sell the entire assembly for around $150.

Does the assembly typically mean it includes the entire unit with the pump and filter? Is it much simpler to replace the entire assembly? basically just remove the old one, install new one and plug the fuel line and power cable back in?

Also, can you help me with the exact part #? i am finding lots of assemblies with conflicing information as to whether they fit the LX 1.7l, or just the SI.

Last edited by Yossi; 09-30-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-30-2016
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold
Re: Fuel Pump and assembly replacement

Been working at a honda dealer for more than a decade. I can count on 1 hand how many bad honda fuel pumps I have seen and have 5 fingers left over. Why are you replacing the pump?

Yes, there is an assembly that pull up through the floor of the car that has a pump unit hanging off the bottom of it. That pump can be changed without replacing the rest of the assembly.

I wouldn't trust a parts store fuel pump. If my car needed a pump and I didn't want to spend to pay new honda prices I would use a junkyard/salvage pump.

About the only reason I could see changing a pump is because of water damage or some other contamination. The failure rate of honda fuel pumps is practically zero.
Old 09-30-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mcnoople
Been working at a honda dealer for more than a decade. I can count on 1 hand how many bad honda fuel pumps I have seen and have 5 fingers left over. Why are you replacing the pump?

Yes, there is an assembly that pull up through the floor of the car that has a pump unit hanging off the bottom of it. That pump can be changed without replacing the rest of the assembly.

I wouldn't trust a parts store fuel pump. If my car needed a pump and I didn't want to spend to pay new honda prices I would use a junkyard/salvage pump.

About the only reason I could see changing a pump is because of water damage or some other contamination. The failure rate of honda fuel pumps is practically zero.
very helpful - thanks. I am trying to diagnose an intemittent no start situation. battery, alternator, starter all okay. new plugs.replaced fuel pump relay, no CEL. The car always starts up when cold. When the car has been running, and then sitting, even for as short as 2-3 minutes, its 50/50 whether it was start up, or just crank without turning over. If I wait 60 seconds and then try again, it will startup fine.
Old 09-30-2016
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Yossi
or just crank without turning over.
What does this mean ??

To me, cranking refers to an engine spinning.
Old 09-30-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
What does this mean ??

To me, cranking refers to an engine spinning.
sorry - might be using the wrong terms. I try to start engine. It goes "chuga chuga chuga chuga" without starting.
Old 09-30-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Any engine must have compression, spark, and fuel --- in the correct quantities and at the correct times.

So at the moment the engine will not start and run on its own, which of those things is not exactly right?

Got codes?
Old 09-30-2016
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
emich is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Yossi
my 02 lx with 197k has a fuel pump going. I am watching the videos and it looks like there is an assembly and within the assembly there is the pump and a filter. It looks a bit complicated to take part to replace just the pump.

I see that they sell the entire assembly for around $150.

Does the assembly typically mean it includes the entire unit with the pump and filter? Is it much simpler to replace the entire assembly? basically just remove the old one, install new one and plug the fuel line and power cable back in?

Also, can you help me with the exact part #? i am finding lots of assemblies with conflicing information as to whether they fit the LX 1.7l, or just the SI.

check your compression
Old 09-30-2016
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by emich
check your compression
Compression that comes and goes? Doesn't seem likely.

I would be expecting a sensor that has become heat sensitive or a relay that is going bad.

I don't know how handy the OP is with tools. If it was mine I would have a spare ignition coil and spark plug with me for diagnostic purposes. When the no-start occurs unplug the coil on the head and plug its connector into the spare unit with a spark plug installed in the coil pack. Ground end of plug to valve cover and crank engine while watching the plug for spark.

If you have spark that means you need fuel and compression. Compression generally isn't something that vanishes and then comes back later with no other problems.
Old 10-20-2016
Registered!!

SlowboyZ is an unknown quantity at this point

I just did mine not too long ago on an 05 due to leaking
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo520.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	1,012.8 KB
ID:	89179