Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

VSS - more than one?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HerbV is an unknown quantity at this point
VSS - more than one?

New to forum. I have a 2001 civic ex automatic. The speedometer and odometer quit working. I researched online and went hunting for the VSS. I found one on the transaxle. The one I found has no gear on it. When I looked online for replacement there are VSS. For my car that have gear teeth. When I had VSS unplugged the car did not shift well. My question is.. Is there another VSS that feeds the speedometer? Like I said.. The one I pulled did NOT have a gear on it that I see on some replacements. Thanks

Last edited by HerbV; 09-15-2016 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-15-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: VSS - more than one?

Is the CEL on? Is there a speed sensor related fault code stored? What's the code?

Are any of the other gauges acting funky?

VSS is a 3 wire sensor, should be right over the differential area of the trans

Last edited by ezone; 09-15-2016 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-15-2016
Registered!!

Hi Ezone. Thanks for reply. Other gauges are okay. sRS light lit. My question is if the transmission speed and vehicle speed are calculated from the same sensor? I don't mind replacing sensor, just want to get the correct sensor. I will have NAPA guy put meter on to see stored codes. Should the VSS for 2001 civic ex automatic have gear teeth on it or is the speed received via magnetic signal? If gear teeth I will need to take resonator box back off and look some more.
Old 09-15-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

There are 3 speed sensors on the automatic trans.

Mainshaft speed (2 wires)

Countershaft speed (2 wires)

Vehicle speed (3 wires)
VSS is directly above where the axles go in the trans. Yes there is a gear on it.

I'd want to be damn sure it's a bad sensor before replacing. Hate to replace something and still have the same problem.
Old 09-15-2016

Honda parts catalog shows more than one choice too, be careful.

Old 09-15-2016
Registered!!

Thanks again. The sensor I pulled had two blade connector. I noticed the ones with gear on them have 3.