Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engine Code

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough
Engine Code

Hello all I have an 04 civic ex that had a p0134 Code, so i went ahead and replaced the air fuel sensor with the correct denso replacement 234-9017 to my knowledge.

Well shortly after replacing the sensor I cleared the codes and whent for a drive, everything seemed fine car drove and felt great. But all was not good, after a while engine light came back and had p0171, the car also felt like it lacked some power at about 3000 rpm.

I cleared the code and left the car at home, it sat for a couple hours and cooled down. I test drove it again later and all felt fine. i pulled coolant temp, intake temp, intake pressure and short term fuel trim on my scan tool pids. As the car came up to temp i noticed fuel trim climbing up to 46 and the car started to feel like it felt when the light was on earlier for p0171. When i got out i smelled my tailpipe and it smelled as if it was running rich.

Did I just get a faulty air fuel sensor? I also recently replaced the fuel filter and strainer because i had a gas leak at the top of the pump assembly and the car ran fine until today when i replaced the sensor.

Edit (Ok after reading more posts on here by searching p0171 i found that someone had misfires because of dirty egr passages. Could this be my problem too? Maybe not enough to misfire but enough to run lean?...after going into closed loop and not using the default rich fuel maps??)
Haha i cant stop thinking about it! Drives me nuts not knowing exactly whats wrong. Also sorry for such a long post, its late and I should be asleep lol

Last edited by GusBuz; 09-11-2016 at 12:29 AM.
Old 09-11-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Engine Code

Originally Posted by GusBuz
Hello all I have an 04 civic ex that had a p0134 Code, so i went ahead and replaced the air fuel sensor with the correct denso replacement 234-9017 to my knowledge.
which sensor did you replace? there are 2 of them

do you have any exhaust leaks?
Old 09-11-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Did I just get a faulty air fuel sensor?
Without knowing a lot more about the situation, I'd guess so.
Old 09-11-2016
Registered!!

GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by mikey1
which sensor did you replace? there are 2 of them

do you have any exhaust leaks?
The upstream sensor, and exhaust leaks i dont believe so but i will take a look to be sure
Old 09-11-2016
Registered!!

Drove it this morning, kept an eye on the scan tool pids and everything was fine even after getting up to operating temp. Fuel trim would be less or more depending on engine load and would not go over 20% at any moment.

I will be keeping an eye on it for a few days hopefully it stays this way.