Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Uh oh... Transmission reassembly error?

Old 08-25-2016
Registered!!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
dnmacdon is an unknown quantity at this point
Uh oh... Transmission reassembly error?

OK, so I got my transmission all reassembled and sealed up after replacing the ISB. But I messed up the sealant, so cracked it open again, cleaned off all the Permatex, reassembled.

When I went to test the gears I found that I can get into all five gears and reverse, no problem, and as I spin the input shaft by hand the differential behaves as you would expect through those gears. However, in neutral, the differential is also moving. This does not seem right. It's moving in the forward direction at about the same speed as 1st gear.

Thinking back, I realized that the second time I put the **** thing together, I forgot to verify that the back end of the reverse selector fork was mounted properly on the lever. It may be, it may not be, I can't tell without cracking the thing open AGAIN. Not a big deal except that it took me ages to get all of the Permatex off. I'm fairly confident everything else was assembled correctly and double checked (including that the forks were in the center position).

Sigh. So could assembling the reverse selector in the wrong position cause the transmission to remain in first even though the shifter is in neutral? Am I correct in my assessment that this is not normal behaviour and I have to open my transmission again? I'm not missing something, am I? And, assuming I do have to open it up again, is there something else that I should look for, besides position of the reverse fork?

Last edited by dnmacdon; 08-25-2016 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-25-2016
Registered!!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
dnmacdon is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Uh oh... Transmission reassembly error?

Found a thread from three years ago where someone else had the same problem, ezone answered the question:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...o-neutral.html

I was able to hold the differential in place and spin the input shaft in neutral. So all's good.

Thanks!