Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car sputtering on acceleration??

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LMSK is an unknown quantity at this point
Car sputtering on acceleration??

I just bought a 2004 civic LX with 208,000km on it. Everything runs great on it, changed the oil and put new spark plugs in but there is a sputtering when I accelerate. It is consistent with the RPM's. At idle and say when downshifting there is no sputtering, and the car doesn't bog down and I don't feel as if it is being sluggish, only when I step on the gas it putts away. Any suggestions on where to start to solving this problem?
Thanks in advance!
Old 08-24-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car sputtering on acceleration??

Your use of the word 'sputtering' may be misleading, the word may mean one thing to you but the mental picture drawn in my head may be completely different.

Cracked exhaust manifold?
Old 08-24-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LMSK is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm besides sputtering I would say it's making a "putt putt" sound that is consistent with the RPM's. I was driving it around today and could smell exhaust when sitting at idle in a parking lot. Will take a look at the manifold for cracks, thanks!
Old 08-24-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LMSK
Hmmm besides sputtering I would say it's making a "putt putt" sound that is consistent with the RPM's. I was driving it around today and could smell exhaust when sitting at idle in a parking lot. Will take a look at the manifold for cracks, thanks!
The raw exhaust smell will be coming from the manifold area, and it should not be.

Either cracked manifold or leaking between manifold and cylinder head.