Suspension Post your issues with Suspension here! Suspension will cover from Steering Column (Steer Wheel is in interior), Suspension, Bearing and Hubs

Another Lower Ball Joint Thread: Separating from LCA

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016
Registered!!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
dnmacdon is an unknown quantity at this point
Another Lower Ball Joint Thread: Separating from LCA

So I've successfully changed out two front lower ball joints on a 2005 Civic recently. On this car (2004 LX 4 door), I wasn't able to get the ball joint to separate. The ultimate goal was to remove the drive axles and transmission so I ended up biting the bullet and removing the knuckle-to-strut mounting bolts, which I was trying to avoid.

I tried what's worked for me in the in the past, a pivoting ball joint tool that looks similar to the one in the service manual. No pop, but it did start to mushroom the end of the stud a little. So I tried the jack-and-insert-ratchet trick, no pop. Tried "beating the snot out of it" (as a wise man once wrote) with a sledge (to the LCA), and tried doing the same while a helper reefed on it with a pry bar. Nothing. I've tried each of these two or three times. Spent over an hour, maybe two on this ******* ball joint.

It's the original, 12-year old, OEM ball joint and LCA, although the other side popped out with the ball joint tool no problem. I'm at a loss. I do need to replace it as there's now some play. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 08-18-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Another Lower Ball Joint Thread: Separating from LCA

If it has to be replaced, get a pickle fork.
Old 08-18-2016
Registered!!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
guitarsnlikker is an unknown quantity at this point

pickle fork worked on my 11 year old original ball joints.

Last edited by guitarsnlikker; 08-18-2016 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-18-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

left mine for days, soaking everyday and tightening the tool everyday. then, one day, i heard a bang from the garage. it was finally out.
Old 08-19-2016
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

heat helps too
Old 08-19-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

no ball joint is any competition for a pickle fork and sledge hammer
Old 08-19-2016

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mikey1
no ball joint is any competition for a pickle fork and sledge hammer
one of mine was
Old 08-19-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Colin42
one of mine was
your not strong enough
Old 08-19-2016

we broke the pickle fork
Old 08-19-2016
Registered!!

Yeah, the trouble I'm having with the pickle forks is that they're not tall enough. I've got a set of five on loan from a local auto parts store and none are quite thick enough to put pressure on the LCA and knuckle. I guess the gap is larger on Hondas than on other cars? I'll go looking for a bigger pickle fork I guess.

I'll also give heat a try. I only have access to a propane torch but I'll give it a shot, heat the LCA and see if it does the trick.

I've also been trying the sustained pressure trick, had the balljoint tool on there for the last couple of days, as tight as I can make it. I'll keep this up too if the others don't work.

So that's three plans of attack. Place your bets...
Old 08-19-2016

Originally Posted by dnmacdon
I'll also give heat a try. I only have access to a propane torch but I'll give it a shot, heat the LCA and see if it does the trick.
I've also been trying the sustained pressure trick, had the balljoint tool on there for the last couple of days, as tight as I can make it. I'll keep this up too if the others don't work.
keep the pressure on and then hit it with the heat, it will probably let go
Old 08-19-2016
Registered!!

Propane torch + pressure from the ball joint separator = burning rubber + one popped ball joint.

Heat was the thing. Thanks everybody!

Last edited by dnmacdon; 08-19-2016 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-19-2016
Registered!!

Now that I think about it, given all the pounding with a sledge, do I need to be concerned about the integrity of the control arm? I'll have a look for obvious cracks, anything else I should check for?

Thanks again!
Old 08-19-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dnmacdon
Propane torch + pressure from the ball joint separator = burning rubber + one popped ball joint.

Heat was the thing. Thanks everybody!
Great!

About the lca, if you find you can't get alignment, it could have bent...

120 bucks with bushings was what I paid.several years ago