Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Check engine code P0335

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85711 is an unknown quantity at this point
Check engine code P0335

Hey E'rybody --
About 3 months ago the P0335 code appeared and I ended up finding that coolant was leaking onto the ckps. Replaced sensor and all was good until now (3 months later) until the same code popped up. I just got to the sensor tonight and am going to include a picture of the area. There is clearly fluid (oil?) kind of all over the area including on the sensor itself. Bad oil pan gasket? I appreciate anyone out there who can help confirm.
Thaaaanks,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0662.JPG
Views:	844
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	88990  
Old 08-17-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Check engine code P0335

Coolant got into the connector?
I'd suspect now there's some corrosion inside the electrical terminals (harness side) causing bad connections.

Can't tell you where the oil leak started, nor if it's got anything to do with the code......but oil will probably make the rubber weather seals inside the wire connector all mushy and not seal well....lets in more water later on.
Old 08-17-2016
Registered!!

Thanks, as always, ezone!

Yes, I am thinking that this P0335 problem still resides with leftover coolant all up in the electrical terminals. I'm beginning to see if I can locate a replacement harness.

Now, the oil leak is a separate issue that I'm glad I am finding out about now. I've looked it up on this forum and found that my problem most likely lies with the oil pump o-ring, based on oil residue location. So, I just purchased a set of o-rings for that area in addition to a new oil pan gasket.

I will post an update.

Thanks.
Old 08-18-2016
Registered!!

2004 lx sedan btw..

I'm at the stage of replacing seals on the oil pump. I've removed the (5?) bolts from the oil pump and I'm needing some hints on how to break that honda bond seal? My oil pan gasket was indeed hardened and in need of replacement.

Old 08-19-2016
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,124 Likes on 939 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

a couple of light smacks with a rubber mallet? find a place where you can pry gently without damaging any sealing surfaces?
Old 08-19-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

You didn't install the oil pan yet, right?
Sump pickup bolted to anything other than the pump?

Pump needs to slide off square, as the drive gear is wrapped around the snout of the crank. Need to pry equally to start moving then should slide off. Pretty sure it's on small dowel pins for alignment.
Old 08-22-2016
Registered!!

Thanks for the replies. I've been schooled on this project...

I ended up getting the oil pump off by hitting it with rubber mallet from all sides.

So, I installed oil pump with new o-ring, and then installed the oil pan with new gasket (+ HB). Torqued everything down and got out to take a break. Looked around and there on the floor was sitting the flywheel plate! I ended up just buying a new gasket since it was difficult to remove the old Honda Bond. Stupid.

Got the oil pan back in there, took a water break. Looked around on the floor and oh my f'ing god I forgot to put in the oil pick-up!

At this point I was so fed up that I just removed the pan, installed the pick-up, and re-installed the pan without removing or touching up the honda bond. Well, I seem to be paying for that now because I got the car put back together and there is a slow but steady leak coming from below the crank. I have to go see if I can pinpoint if it's the oil pan gasket, or the oil pump. Either way, holy s.

I'm going to tear everything down (again) and call a local mechanic who does house calls and have him install the oil pump and oil pan.

Old 08-22-2016
Registered!!

*Update*

Just finished taking off PS pump, alternator, crank bolt, valve cover, timing covers, alt. bracket, engine mount, and timing belt. I noticed this morning after finding out last night that I had an oil leak coming off of lower timing cover, that not much oil had collected over night and it was not dripping really today when I went out there. After taking a closer look I am seeing the fresh oil all along the side of the engine and a bit on the back, too. Quite a bit got on the crank sensor, too. So, I'm praying that my problem lies with the valve cover gasket? It's fairly new that's why I never questioned it before...

Last edited by 85711; 08-22-2016 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-22-2016

I ended up just buying a new gasket since it was difficult to remove the old Honda Bond. Stupid.
Gasket for what? The sealer comes right off with a razor blade.

After taking a closer look I am seeing the fresh oil all along the side of the engine and a bit on the back, too.
Look for the starting point.
Old 08-23-2016
Registered!!

Gasket for what? The sealer comes right off with a razor blade.
The oil pan I'm dealing with uses an actual gasket, rather than a liquid gasket type deal. The Honda Bond was placed at the four places referred to by Chilton, and that's what was hard to remove So I just bought a new gasket.
Old 09-15-2016
Registered!!

Fastforward to now...

No more oil leaks as of yet BUT..

Replaced wiring harness for Crankshaft Position Sensor and nothing changed for me. Engine light still on with code P0335. Attempted to clear it and the car wanted to stall. It's still running in limp mode.

I'm wondering if I need to (again) replace the sensor? Very frustrating!
Old 09-15-2016

Oh hell, I don't know. You did erase the codes, yes? Now it's reset the same code? How quick does the code reset?

Crank gear is not installed backwards? (IDK if that's even possible)

Start over at the beginning and test as if you didn't know anything about what's already been done?

This sensor on it now, did it get antifreeze trapped in its connector? Could it have corrosion issues in the terminals?

What sort of harness was replaced, just a pigtail and connector?
Possible....Bad connections in the patched new harness/connector? (twist-n-tape isn't a great repair)
Mis-wired, no longer in correct order at the plug?

Poor connections in other connectors on up the harness all the way to the computer?
Terminal tension check on all of the female pins from the sensor all the way to the computer?

Test for power/ground/5v in the sensor connector?

The blue wire goes directly to the PCM.
The other two wires go to the splice packs on top of the valve cover before heading to their final destinations (either ground G101 or main relay #1), so there are several possible spots that could have issues. Might need a wiring diagram to see splice pack breakdowns.