Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

AC compressor issue for 05 Hybrid - Bypass??

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHITNEYK863 is an unknown quantity at this point
AC compressor issue for 05 Hybrid - Bypass??

Last week I started my car and immediately heard a rattling sound coming from engine compartment.
Come to find out, the ac compressor is not functioning properly and it needs to be replaced before it ceases up. I just got an estimate from the repair shop and it's about $1100 to get a new compressor and have it put in. I can't afford that, but I need to figure something out ASAP.
Does anyone know how to bypass the compressor for an 05 hybrid??? I've seen plenty of videos and kits to buy for other models but haven't found much for a hybrid.
I read some other forums online and two people said they were able to do this with a shorter belt.
Old 07-26-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: AC compressor issue for 05 Hybrid - Bypass??

It's probably the bearing inside the compressor pulley that's gone bad. I don't replace the entire compressor for that, I just replace the pulley and clutch set with the field coil.

Here's 2 very recent threads that deal that issue:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/367842-2003-civic-hybrid-heavy-rattle-ac-compressor.html

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...d-bearing.html

I believe there is discussion of rerouting the belt to avoid the compressor too
Old 07-27-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
It's probably the bearing inside the compressor pulley that's gone bad. I don't replace the entire compressor for that, I just replace the pulley and clutch set with the field coil.

Here's 2 very recent threads that deal that issue:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/367842-2003-civic-hybrid-heavy-rattle-ac-compressor.html

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...d-bearing.html

I believe there is discussion of rerouting the belt to avoid the compressor too

Thank you soooo much for the information!!!
At some point down the road, I would like to replace the bearing or pulley that's causing the compressor to fail. Unfortunately I have little knowledge about cars, so I can't play around to try to figure it out. I'm stuck having to wait until someone else can fix it for me.

Now I have a few other questions, any info is greatly appreciated.

Would it be a big mistake if I continue driving the car in its current condition, until I can get the compressor bypassed?

Is there a bypass kit that I could purchase for my 05 civic hybrid?

What length belt would work to bypass it? Or have a part number to search for it?
Old 07-27-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WHITNEYK863
Thank you soooo much for the information!!!
At some point down the road, I would like to replace the bearing or pulley that's causing the compressor to fail. Unfortunately I have little knowledge about cars, so I can't play around to try to figure it out. I'm stuck having to wait until someone else can fix it for me.

Now I have a few other questions, any info is greatly appreciated.

Would it be a big mistake if I continue driving the car in its current condition, until I can get the compressor bypassed?
One of the threads I posted has links to 2 videos posted in it showing the persons issue with his car. Watch the videos. Notice the compressor pulley wobbles a lot in the (second?) video.
Does yours do the same?

If yours does the same, if yours makes a horrible a racket, I'd have to say quit driving it-- for the same reason I gave those posters.

Is there a bypass kit that I could purchase for my 05 civic hybrid? What length belt would work to bypass it? Or have a part number to search for it?
No kit. Simply purchase the shorter belt and install it. There is a link in one of those threads that has the answers for all you have asked.
Old 07-27-2016
Registered!!

Ok I'll definitely take a look at the videos posted.
The rattling is intermittent but it's loud. I also noticed that the belt will jump, at the same time the pulley slightly moves.
I appreciate your insight and advice. Thank you so much, you've definitely addressed my main concerns. Now that I know that there is no kit, I can stop looking for that and focus on purchasing the correct belt.