Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

03 civic lx p0336

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ducter is an unknown quantity at this point
03 civic lx p0336

My 16 year old daughter purchased an 03 civic lx automatic with 178k miles a couple months ago. Previous owners said they just replaced the timing belt and water pump. I test drove it about 10-15 minutes and everything checked out fine. Fast forward to about a month ago and the first time the cars been driven over 15-20 minutes straight it overheats on the Interstate on my daughter, I get it towed home and I ended up replacing the head gasket, I go on and put a new timing belt on it as well just so I know it's new, car runs fine. A couple weeks later, which is now last week she calls me and says the cel is on and its jerking/bucking . She drives it home and that's where I am today with it.

I started it last night and went to pull it in the garage, noticed the lights are flickering a bit, not sure if it's related but wanted to mention it. I pulled the codes and it's pointing to the crankshaft position sensor but before I rip it back down again I wanted make sure I was on the right path. Here's a screen shot of the codes, the pending ones I believe are related to the first fault code as I pulled them several other times and only the fault code shows. I did clear the code and the car then drove fine for a bit and a few minutes later right back to where it was. CEL on, bucking and won't rev past about 3.5k
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20160714-133337.png
Views:	147
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	88964  
Old 07-23-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 03 civic lx p0336

Disconnect and look closely, see if the terminals in the sensor and inside the wiring connector show any signs of corrosion and/or liquid contamination.
If not, probably replace the CKP sensor.
Old 07-24-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ducter is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 03 civic lx p0336

I did, and that I can tell they are clean. Looks like someone used some dielectric grease at some point.