Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

04 DX cranks but doesn't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jasonle88 is an unknown quantity at this point
04 DX cranks but doesn't start

Hi all,

My civic cranks but doesn't start. I found out that my timing belt was snapped so I replaced that along with the water pump. I made sure that crank and cam was at TDC before putting everything back together. When I tried to start it up though, it still cranks but doesn't start. I noticed that my odometer would go from reading the mileage to showing all 0s and sounds as if it's dying.

I was wondering if it could possibly be my starter that went out?
Old 06-23-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 04 DX cranks but doesn't start

Compression test.
Old 06-24-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

you have bent valves as a result of the timing belt snapping
Old 06-28-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jasonle88 is an unknown quantity at this point

I got my car to start but it's running a little rough. When it's in 1st gear, it'll only go up to about 15mph before it sputters so I'll shift to 2nd and it'll go up to 30mph before it spuuters and won't go higher unless I shift to 3rd. Could it be because I've had a tank of gas 3/4 full and it's been sitting out for about 6 months?
Old 06-28-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Got compression?
Got fault codes?
Timing incorrect?

No, 6 month old gas shouldn't cause something running that bad IMO.
Old 06-29-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jasonle88
I got my car to start but it's running a little rough. When it's in 1st gear, it'll only go up to about 15mph before it sputters so I'll shift to 2nd and it'll go up to 30mph before it spuuters and won't go higher unless I shift to 3rd. Could it be because I've had a tank of gas 3/4 full and it's been sitting out for about 6 months?
did you even read my reply?
Old 06-29-2016
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Timing belt needed replacing at 105,000 miles or 5 years ago.