Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Window Regulator Installation Issue

Old 06-22-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cmillett138 is an unknown quantity at this point
Window Regulator Installation Issue

This is my first post - appreciate the feedback/help

Background -
I have a 2001 civic and the driver window was falling down, not staying in place and after doing research I realized I needed to buy a new window power regulator. While removing the old regulator I realized the issue and the cables connecting the rail to the motor had snapped.

The new regulator went in fairly smoothly using YouTube and forum tutorials, and the window rolled right back up after I got it back into place, but then I had a problem...

Now the window will roll up, then gets stuck in the up position. When I attempt to roll back down I can very easily pop the window back out of the place and it is having the same issues as before. My questions include:

1. I noticed that the regulator I purchased (link below) didn't seem to match 100% exactly to the old regulator (i.e. the power connection line was shorter and it seems like the motor was facing a different direction. Could there possibly be an issue with having the wrong regulator?

CarQuest Window Reg and Motor Assembly for Front Left
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/c...ndow+regulator

2. Is there a problem with the way I placed the window back in? Is it not correctly on the right tracks? The video I watched wasn't too helpful on that issue.

3. Is there some other problem? I noticed that aside from the line in the original being snapped, there were also two medium sized springs and a plastic clip (that I assumed was part of the old assembly, but not totally sure) that may be affecting this issue.

Would appreciate any guidance as I'm new to the DIY thing!
Old 06-22-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Window Regulator Installation Issue

Now the window will roll up, then gets stuck in the up position. When I attempt to roll back down I can very easily pop the window back out of the place and it is having the same issues as before.
take it apart and inspect to see why it's doing what it is doing.

Try putting another regulator in it. Warranty this one at the parts store.

If it still doesn't work right, buy one from Honda?
Old 06-29-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cmillett138 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Window Regulator Installation Issue

Update: I had a feeling it was something with the window. I felt like an idiot, but I figured it out and I have it working now.

I had bolted the windows back into, but not properly into the arm. Essentially the window was balancing on the mechanism rather than securely fastened and smoothly moving up and down. So, it was an easy take the panel off, rebolt the windows properly and we are going.

Thanks for the input. Although this mis-step was common sense it goes to show that the videos can leave some gaps to fill in for unexperienced DIYers.