Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Steering Related Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Steering Related Questions

2004 Civic Value Sedan. A/T. 72K miles

This is my mom's car. I just replaced rotors and pads over the weekend and noticed the steering design doesn't include inner/outer ties rods. I should know this but, what type of steering design is this termed as?

Also, it has mild cabin shaking (unrelated to brakes) that doesn't translate through the steering wheel. Alignment (lifetime), newer tires rotated, balanced twice: First time usual way, second time road-forced. Tested motor mounts by putting in drive and then reverse with brakes engaged and no abnormal movement noticed.

I intend to try another road-forced balancing before considering suspension or steerings parts as a possible issue(s). If, after another RF balancing and tire inspection the problem still exist which part(s) are considered suspect?

Last edited by Wankenstein; 06-21-2016 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-21-2016
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold
Re: Steering Related Questions

The 04 civic has normal standard style outer tie rods they are just mounted high up on the steering arm that is part of the strut.

The inner tie rod is actually just a bushing in the end of the rod at the rack. I do not know if they are a service item since I have never seen one wear out on a honda. I know the dodge intrepid used a very similar design and they had lots of problems with theirs. Honda used it on 01-05 civic, RSX, Element, and 02-06 crv's.
Old 06-22-2016
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Steering Related Questions

Originally Posted by mcnoople
The 04 civic has normal standard style outer tie rods they are just mounted high up on the steering arm that is part of the strut.

The inner tie rod is actually just a bushing in the end of the rod at the rack. I do not know if they are a service item since I have never seen one wear out on a honda. I know the dodge intrepid used a very similar design and they had lots of problems with theirs. Honda used it on 01-05 civic, RSX, Element, and 02-06 crv's.
McThanks.