Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

DRL Problem - dim passenger headlight

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
519city91 is an unknown quantity at this point
DRL Problem - dim passenger headlight

I have a 2003 Honda Civic Lx Coupe and one day I noticed my car was making a buzzing sound behind the glove box and I looked online and it seemed like I found a solution which was to solder the drl module behind the trunk release lever. I resoldered the drl module and plugged it in which got rid of the buzzimg however, the passenger side headlight remains very dim when switched to lowbeam or hibeam.

I tried swapping bulbs, tried resoldering the drl module behind the trunk release, took apart the combination switch on the steering wheel which looked fine and I tried replacing the drl relay behind the glove box also (I have 2 Gray modules 1 looks old and a new one was with the car when I got it, inside a oem Honda wrapper, ive tried switching between those and still nothing), I checked and rechecked all fuses which seem fine and my passenger headlight is still very dim, I also noticed my parking light on the passenger side flickers...If anyone has any solution or knows of a fix please let me know this has been driving me nuts, thanks in advance!
Old 06-04-2016
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: DRL Problem - dim passenger headlight

Does it work ok in drl mode on that side ??

Since both and low & high beam are affected....almost like a poor grounding path for that bulb somewhere in it's complex path.

The marker light should be separate unless there is a common connector/harness that is causing both dim headlight, and marker flicker.

Move around some close to the bulbs harnesses and connectors and look for changes while on.
Old 06-14-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
519city91 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CraigW
Does it work ok in drl mode on that side ??

Since both and low & high beam are affected....almost like a poor grounding path for that bulb somewhere in it's complex path.

The marker light should be separate unless there is a common connector/harness that is causing both dim headlight, and marker flicker.

Move around some close to the bulbs harnesses and connectors and look for changes while on.
I tried looking for a problem, the connector to the bulb has some kind of grease/gunk inside the terminal connector area. I tried adding a ground what I believe is the ground wire but that didn't do anything either. Is there any way to bypass the ground or make my own ground somehow? I'm not sure how the system works exactly and at this point i'm willing to try anything. It's so infuriating because it's just dim and moving it around doesn't change anything. I looked at the wiring and it looks like someone added a connector for a different type of headlight but I couldn't find any abnormally spliced wires or anything, any ideas are appreciated thanks.
Old 06-15-2016
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...l-problem.html

This thread has the w/drl schematics, and one side is working correctly.

You could make measurements from the working side. Whack that drl module case with a medium screwdriver handle WHILE watching for changes in brightness from problem side.