Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2002 1.7 140k - Transmission noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yoshisakan is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 1.7 140k - Transmission noise

Hey All,

I just bought a new daily driver, a clean 2002 civic. The motor sounds very strong aside from an exhaust leak making it sound like a truck motor. It revs nicely, and revs down nicely. I just changed the oil and it idles stably at 750rpm or so.

When the car is in gear through first and second, i hear a sound from the transmission, its hard to describe, but it is kind of loud, not a whine or a grinding. It almost sounds like a louder exhaust leak, but its coming from the right front wheel area.

Every gear works as it should and I haven't had any problems with clutch slipping. I also don't think its a throwout bearing or the input shaft bearing.

Are there any other common issues with these transmissions?
Old 06-02-2016
Registered!!

7TH Gen JDM is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2002 1.7 140k - Transmission noise

I just finished an 02 EX with a 1st & 2nd gear noise like a growl. It was the input shaft bearing.
Vital Parts sold me an entire transmission bearing & seal kit for $135. And they were all high quality bearings. It's only a little more work to rebuild the whole transmission than to just replace the input shaft bearing.
I'd never done anything like this before. Just followed the You Tube video.
Now the trans is completely quiet. When I sit at an idle and let the clutch out...nothing, just quiet. It should run another 200 k.
Old 06-02-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 7TH Gen JDM
I just finished an 02 EX with a 1st & 2nd gear noise like a growl. It was the input shaft bearing.
Vital Parts sold me an entire transmission bearing & seal kit for $135. And they were all high quality bearings. It's only a little more work to rebuild the whole transmission than to just replace the input shaft bearing.
I'd never done anything like this before. Just followed the You Tube video.
Now the trans is completely quiet. When I sit at an idle and let the clutch out...nothing, just quiet. It should run another 200 k.
Will it eventually break and cause a problem? It only makes the noise at low speeds, I can't hear it on the highway for instance. It seems like a ton of work to remove the transmission on one of these.
Old 06-03-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by yoshisakan
Will it eventually break and cause a problem? It only makes the noise at low speeds, I can't hear it on the highway for instance. It seems like a ton of work to remove the transmission on one of these.
It'll get progressively worse. Rock Auto even sells a shim kit for the trans housing for where people let the bearing go until it worries out the trans housing. Though I wouldn't recommend that. Your 02 is a relatively low mileage car.
It depends on how much you have to use those lower gears. That's where most of the stress happens.
It is a major undertaking. Especially for me where I'd just dropped the engine & trans into the car, then discovered the noise! So the trans went in the top, out the bottom. I even had too drop the sub frame because it was an EX. I'm a relatively novice mechanic so it took me 3 days. My nephew who is a hondafanatic could have done it in one day.
What I'm saying is, when you do drop the trans do it all. For a little over $200 you can get a new clutch, pressure plate, throw out & pilot bearing, all 7 transmission bearings and the 4 seals. In today's world that's cheap!

The keys to doing it yourself are: Rockauto, Vital Parts & You Tube (search 02 Civic input shaft bearing) There's no video for a complete rebuild but the bearing locations are obvious. And they're all slip fit. Slide the old one off then slide the new one on. I couldn't detect any play in any bearing except the input shaft bearing. But now the trans is so smooth & quiet I'm glad I did the complete rebuild.
Labor is the big factor here. Parts are pretty cheap. So fix it once, fix it right, fix it for good.
Old 06-03-2016
Registered!!

It'll get progressively worse. Rock Auto even sells a shim kit for the trans housing for where people let the bearing go until it worries out the trans housing. Though I wouldn't recommend that. Your 02 is a relatively low mileage car.
It depends on how much you have to use those lower gears. That's where most of the stress happens.
It is a major undertaking. Especially for me where I'd just dropped the engine & trans into the car, then discovered the noise! So the trans went in the top, out the bottom. I even had too drop the sub frame because it was an EX. I'm a relatively novice mechanic so it took me 3 days. My nephew who is a hondafanatic could have done it in one day.
What I'm saying is, when you do drop the trans do it all. For a little over $200 you can get a new clutch, pressure plate, throw out & pilot bearing, all 7 transmission bearings and the 4 seals. In today's world that's cheap!

The keys to doing it yourself are: Rockauto, Vital Parts & You Tube (search 02 Civic input shaft bearing) There's no video for a complete rebuild but the bearing locations are obvious. And they're all slip fit. Slide the old one off then slide the new one on. I couldn't detect any play in any bearing except the input shaft bearing. But now the trans is so smooth & quiet I'm glad I did the complete rebuild.
Labor is the big factor here. Parts are pretty cheap. So fix it once, fix it right, fix it for good.
I didn't realize the parts would be that cheap, that makes me feel a lot better. I got the car for $1400 out the door and it's rust free so I kind of figured I'd was missing something. I guess I'll start tearing it down tonight. Do you know where I can find the part numbers for what I need or a good microfiche site? Mine is a 2002 lx 4 door 1.7 non vtec.

Thanks again for the morale support lol
Old 06-03-2016
Registered!!

Are these all the seals and bearings I should need? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Civic-SLW-Manual-Transmission-Rebuilding-Kit-2001-On-1-7L-2-0L-BK-499-/321269855670?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368
It looks like the 2 differential bearings, axle seals, mainshaft bearing, countershaft bearins that sit in the clutch cover, and then the 3 bearings at the other end of the couter and mainshafts, is that correct?

I'm also going to go ahead and replace the rear main seal, and oil pan gasket while ive got everything torn down.
Old 06-04-2016
Registered!!

Yup! That's the kit. And $10 cheaper than what I found them for. It has every bearing & seal in the transmission.
Don't forget the clutch-pressure plate-throw out bearing kit. For $86 you don't want to do this again.
I looked up the price of a new flywheel and they're only a little over $100. Though it's not too likely you'll need one.

Have you seen the You Tube video? There are a few tricky parts to doing this rebuild. Nothing difficult, but you have to know the procedures.
Old 06-10-2016
Registered!!

Yup! That's the kit. And $10 cheaper than what I found them for. It has every bearing & seal in the transmission.
Don't forget the clutch-pressure plate-throw out bearing kit. For $86 you don't want to do this again.
I looked up the price of a new flywheel and they're only a little over $100. Though it's not too likely you'll need one.

Have you seen the You Tube video? There are a few tricky parts to doing this rebuild. Nothing difficult, but you have to know the procedures.
I found a great youtube video that explains everything except how to replace the other bearings in the kit. Since I don't have a press, I planned on heating up the differential bearings to replace. What about the needle bearing for the countershaft that is in the clutch case? How do I remove the old one? Also how do I replace the main and countershaft bearings that are on the shafts themselves, do I need to disassemble? I dont have bearing pullers or bearing seperators as the FSM suggests.
Old 06-14-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by yoshisakan
I found a great youtube video that explains everything except how to replace the other bearings in the kit. Since I don't have a press, I planned on heating up the differential bearings to replace. What about the needle bearing for the countershaft that is in the clutch case? How do I remove the old one? Also how do I replace the main and countershaft bearings that are on the shafts themselves, do I need to disassemble? I dont have bearing pullers or bearing seperators as the FSM suggests.
I have a press, bearing pullers etc. I didn't use any of them on the trans rebuild. These are all slip fit bearings. Sure they get stuck, so I used a screwdriver and a plastic mallet to get them started. Peck, peck, peck and they came off. Cleaned up the shafts & housings with 3M scotchbrite pads and the new ones slipped back on. I had to peck with the plastic mallet on the double bearings on the main shaft. I might have used a seal puller on the bearing in the case, I don't remember. But I do remember it wasn't anything drastic. No pullers or prying or anything like that. Just peck peck peck.
A word of warning, the old bearings look exactly like the new bearings. You can't detect the wear by looking at them and spinning them in your hand. Organization is key. Maybe even marking the old bearings and their direction before taking them off.
You don't disassemble the main or counter shafts. You have to be careful not to. Maybe lay the shafts on a pile of rags while you peck off the bearings, watching you're not knocking everything apart. Sycronizers aren't even included in this kit. I guess it's not common they need replaced. Thank goodness. (They are included in the 6th gen Civic kit) Just look at them and if they're not worn down you're OK. (check the video on that)
It's really a series of simple steps. Take a bearing off, check it's position, put it over there somewhere, get the new bearing, check it's position, slip it on. Don't panic, don't rush, don't drop it and you'll be fine. If I can do it, anybody can do it.
Old 06-14-2016
Registered!!

I have a press, bearing pullers etc. I didn't use any of them on the trans rebuild. These are all slip fit bearings. Sure they get stuck, so I used a screwdriver and a plastic mallet to get them started. Peck, peck, peck and they came off. Cleaned up the shafts & housings with 3M scotchbrite pads and the new ones slipped back on. I had to peck with the plastic mallet on the double bearings on the main shaft. I might have used a seal puller on the bearing in the case, I don't remember. But I do remember it wasn't anything drastic. No pullers or prying or anything like that. Just peck peck peck.
A word of warning, the old bearings look exactly like the new bearings. You can't detect the wear by looking at them and spinning them in your hand. Organization is key. Maybe even marking the old bearings and their direction before taking them off.
You don't disassemble the main or counter shafts. You have to be careful not to. Maybe lay the shafts on a pile of rags while you peck off the bearings, watching you're not knocking everything apart. Sycronizers aren't even included in this kit. I guess it's not common they need replaced. Thank goodness. (They are included in the 6th gen Civic kit) Just look at them and if they're not worn down you're OK. (check the video on that)
It's really a series of simple steps. Take a bearing off, check it's position, put it over there somewhere, get the new bearing, check it's position, slip it on. Don't panic, don't rush, don't drop it and you'll be fine. If I can do it, anybody can do it.
Everything was going fine until I went to replace the differential bearings. I ended up nuking my differential. Luckily a member here has offered to donate his to the cause.
Old 06-15-2016
Registered!!

Sorry to hear that.
Old 06-15-2016
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

It's currently in transit