Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Overheating/coolant boil over only after 25mi highway drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jajohnson977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Overheating/coolant boil over only after 25mi highway drive

Hello,
Experiencing an issue on the highway where temp needle will go up. I pull over and see that my overflow tank is boiling and shaking. Radiator has loss of fluid and need to fill with water. Once this started, it will do this about every 25-30 miles...but only on the highway. When I take short in town trips, say 10-15 miles, let the car cool, I see that my radiator is full and overflow level is where it should be (doesn't appear to have any coolant loss during short trips, plus I see no leakage on garage floor). Made a number of these in town trips with the same results. Changed the radiator cap and went out on the highway to test but had boil over after 29 miles.
Car has 335k on it and I replaced the head gasket at 270k (head prof. Machined). And has run for 3 years and 65k miles without any issue up until now. Many of those miles being long highway trips.
These are different symptoms that I had prior to HG replacement which I could drive on highway for long 80 mile trips and simply had to transfer full overflow tank back into radiator and could go for another 80 miles...so I'm just not ready to scream head gasket yet. This time it's like as long as I don't leave town, I wouldn't see any overheating issues.
Any ideas? Thanks in advance
Old 05-25-2016
Registered!!

jajohnson977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Overheating/coolant boil over only after 25mi highway drive

This is a 2003 civic LX with 1.7l btw. Thanks
Old 05-25-2016
cj1
Registered!!

cj1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Start with a pressure test of the coolant system
Old 05-25-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Head gasket.
Old 05-25-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

How old is the radiator? Thermostat?
Cooling efficiency compromised by lime/calcium inside, or leaves/bugs/sand/dirt in the fins of the condensor and radiator?
Old 05-25-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jajohnson977
Hello,
Experiencing an issue on the highway where temp needle will go up. I pull over and see that my overflow tank is boiling and shaking.

blown head gasket