Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Power locks problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aalap Parikh is an unknown quantity at this point
Power locks problem

Hi, I have noticed an issue with the power locks on my 2005 honda civic si (canadian) sedan.

The first time I press unlock on my remote, all the locks unlock. After I flip the power lock switch to lock the doors, the doors lock as normal. Subsequent attempts to unlock/lock the doors using the power lock switch do not seem to work. For example, the two passenger side doors work fine, but the two dirvers side doors first only move a little, and then do not move at all. After I flip the switch several more times, the passenger side doors also stop responding. Oddly, this seems to occur in a cycle. Every morning, the locks seem to work fine, and then slowly stop working. Even if I leave the car for a few hours, the locks seem to work fine before they stop responding.

Does anyone know where I can start my diagnosis, or what steps I should take?

Thanks
Old 04-29-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Power locks problem

Need new power lock actuators.
The motors are weak.
Typical.
Old 04-30-2016
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

The reason the motors are weak is they brushes wear and around the commentator on the little motor has a build up of conductive material. I have pulled them apart and one I did has lasted a while but it's a lot of trouble. Do not buy the $12-15 $ ones on ebay. They last about a year if you are lucky. The two little screws hold them in are loctited. Be sure your philips screw drive is a good one or you will strip out screw head. If you do that, the whole door latch would need to come out to get get it all apart. They are also a pain to get them in. On mine, it seems that I needed to push the door latch in the door jam in as if it's latched. This lowered the little plastic lever down that the motor box pulls on. Guess if you do enough of them, it gets easy. I have done about 10 and it's still a pain. PS..they will probably work fine this summer except on damp days.. If you have more time then money, cut the plastic box apart at bonded seem with a vice and exato blade. Grind the notch holding motor together with a grinder. pull motor apart and dump all the brush material. Use a small piece of thread to hold brushes back and slide motor back together and then slide out thread. Recrimp motor. Use RTV to glue housing back together.

Last edited by RIPSAW; 04-30-2016 at 06:22 AM.
Old 04-30-2016
Registered!!

Aalap Parikh is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your replies.
So is this a DIY job or mechanic job?
Im a total beginner, and im taking the car down to the mechanic soon to see what he can do.
Old 04-30-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on your abilities and tools, we cannot evaluate if you can accomplish the tasks or not.

I remove the latch assembly from the door, then replace the lock actuator (attached to the latch) then reinstall the latch assembly into the door.
Old 04-30-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Aalap Parikh
Thanks for your replies.

Im a total beginner,
Let a mechanic do it. You will probably break up have the fasteners holding the door panel on and screw up the latch.

Last edited by RIPSAW; 05-01-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-01-2016
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

The rear doors are **** simple to change the actuators on, the the drivers door is a bit of a pain in the ***. I had never changed them before and it took under a half hour for a rear door and about 2 hrs for the drivers door. I bought the dorman actuators from a parts store in my city and they were like $70-80 each.
Old 05-01-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
The rear doors are **** simple to change the actuators on, the the drivers door is a bit of a pain in the ***. I had never changed them before and it took under a half hour for a rear door and about 2 hrs for the drivers door. I bought the dorman actuators from a parts store in my city and they were like $70-80 each.
Might want to keep in mind the OEM are a good deal at 40 or so on ebay from some Honda Power Sale dealers. Dorman (probably have screws holding them together) goes for as little as 10-20$ . They looked good and I am always trying to save a buck but they didn't make it a year on my car. The first OEM ones made it 10 years.. longer then the visiors??HA
Old 05-02-2016
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Might want to keep in mind the OEM are a good deal at 40 or so on ebay from some Honda Power Sale dealers. Dorman (probably have screws holding them together) goes for as little as 10-20$ . They looked good and I am always trying to save a buck but they didn't make it a year on my car. The first OEM ones made it 10 years.. longer then the visiors??HA
sure 40 on ebay but then id probably have to pay another 40 to get it here to canada and the dorman ones looked decent enough.