Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Changing a front motor mount on MT

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wonderingmaybe is an unknown quantity at this point
Changing a front motor mount on MT

Hey all I have a 2004 Civic EX manual transmission. A dealership did an inspection on my car and two things I should get done are to replace the front motor mount and the front control arms. After some research, I think I can do the front motor mount myself.

The mount itself is about $60. But I am not sure of what tools I need

I cant find anything online that has a step by step how-to change a front motor mount on a manual transmission that also lists what tools I need.

Anyone mind telling me or linking me to a guide? Thanks!

Oh also, should using the same hardware from the old mount should be OK for the old mount
Old 04-09-2016
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice
Re: Changing a front motor mount on MT

Originally Posted by wonderingmaybe
Hey all I have a 2004 Civic EX manual transmission. A dealership did an inspection on my car and two things I should get done are to replace the front motor mount and the front control arms. After some research, I think I can do the front motor mount myself.

The mount itself is about $60. But I am not sure of what tools I need

I cant find anything online that has a step by step how-to change a front motor mount on a manual transmission that also lists what tools I need.

Anyone mind telling me or linking me to a guide? Thanks!

Oh also, should using the same hardware from the old mount should be OK for the old mount
I reused my motoe mount hardware. Unless yours is damaged you should be fine resuing. Just use a jack and a piece of wood under your oil panl to take weight off front mount while you replace it.
Front control arms are easy to do. You'd need to use a ball joint removal tool and then its just a couple of 19mm bolts and the sway bar end links. End links can be a pain, might have to cut them off and replace. Depends, but if you have to cut them, its time to replace them anyway. Use Amzon or Rockauto maybe for control arms, end links.
Old 04-09-2016
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Hydraulic jack under oil pan with a piece of 2x4 between the jack and oil pan. Jack up engine slightly to support it. Unbolt old mount, remove. Place new mount in, insert bolt, tighten down. Lower and remove jack. Done.

I forgot what size socket you need. Prolly 17 or 19mm
Old 04-10-2016
Registered!!

Hey!
Thank you both for the responses. Do you guys know what the torques for the bolts will be? I read on another board that it is 47/40 for the two different bolts. Just wanted to make sure this is correct.
Old 04-10-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Hydraulic jack under oil pan with a piece of 2x4 between the jack and oil pan. Jack up engine slightly to support it. Unbolt old mount, remove. Place new mount in, insert bolt, tighten down. Lower and remove jack. Done.

I forgot what size socket you need. Prolly 17 or 19mm

exactly this, its pretty easy as long as you support the engine properly
Old 04-10-2016
Registered!!

Creager is an unknown quantity at this point

I did this last week during a clutch install. Might not need to support the engine, if you're only doing the one mount. Mine hangs there and "neutralizes" quite nicely without the jack.

47ftlbs on the bolts
Old 04-14-2016
Registered!!

Hey again!
I finally got my parts today. When I inspected the front motor mount that was sent to me, there were two openings in the rubber part. The two cuts look like they are actually a part of the design of the mount, but I just wanted to make sure before installing it.
Also, im curious why new mechanical parts always look so beat up @_@

Here are some pictures.

http://imgur.com/a/7RxmC
Old 04-14-2016
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, they're (the two openings) supposed to be there. It's to increase vibration absorption transferred to the chassis. A solid rubber mount would make you feel the vibrations much more
Old 04-16-2016
Registered!!

Changed the mount! It took 3 hours because the breaker bar wouldnt fit into the car and we had to improvise...

Here is a picture of the old one
http://imgur.com/a/bRlcX

The only problem is the check engine light is now on(I think from the oxygen sensor) and I couldnt torque the bolts on because the wrench would not fit either..So gotta head over to oreilys and get it checked out.

Thank you all for helping