Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Help! I stripped TB tensioner thread - Solved!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
willysp has a spectacular aura aboutwillysp has a spectacular aura about
Help! I stripped TB tensioner thread - Solved!

Like an idiot I set the torque to 44lb when it actually is 33lb (44 is in newtons...) anyway, I stripped the thread of the block... I think the bolt is the short one because I have seen some videos recommending to upgrade to a longer bolt. Do you know if that is true? If so, do you think the longer bolt will be long enough to securely hold the tensioner or I will need an insert?

Thanks,

Last edited by sdaidoji; 03-18-2016 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-15-2016
Registered!!

Re: Help! I stripped TB tensioner thread

So after my panic attack went away, it did a brief google search and I found a bunch of people that had the same issue. The difference is that no-one acknowledges that they over torqued the bolt! haha. Anyways, I bought the time sert kit
Amazon.com: TIME-SERT Metric Kit M10 x 1.25 Part # 1012: Automotive Amazon.com: TIME-SERT Metric Kit M10 x 1.25 Part # 1012: Automotive
It seems that it can be done without lowering the engine if done by hand. We will see
Unfortunately I will get it next week. In the mean time, I will need to find what else I can break. I will keep you posted.

Old 03-15-2016
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
emich is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by willysp
Like an idiot I set the torque to 44lb when it actually is 33lb (44 is in newtons...) anyway, I stripped the thread of the block... I think the bolt is the short one because I have seen some videos recommending to upgrade to a longer bolt. Do you know if that is true? If so, do you think the longer bolt will be long enough to securely hold the tensioner or I will need an insert?

Thanks,

You just need a longer bolt
Old 03-15-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by emich
You just need a longer bolt
It seems that the updated bolt is only 1/4 inch longer. If I stripped the thread, the longer bolt would use only 1/4 inch thread which seems not enough. Or you are suggesting replacing the bolt by one from a hardware store? The only issue I see in doing that is the the original bolt has a wider shoulder near the head
Old 03-15-2016
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
emich is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by willysp
It seems that the updated bolt is only 1/4 inch longer. If I stripped the thread, the longer bolt would use only 1/4 inch thread which seems not enough. Or you are suggesting replacing the bolt by one from a hardware store? The only issue I see in doing that is the the original bolt has a wider shoulder near the head
The block can take even longer than recommended bolt if you still worry
Old 03-15-2016
Registered!!

you are correct, I've noticed that. But I am not sure if a M10 x 1.25 will have the same shoulder thickness than the original. I attached a pic of the original bolt and you can see that it seems that the shoulder has a thicker section. If I use a regular bolt, it won't have that thicker section and the tensioner might have some "play". I do not have the parts with me now, but I will go tomorrow to fastenal to see if I can find some bolts. If I can use a regular bolt the job would be a piece of cake.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	31bWnkz+7vL.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	88585  
Old 03-18-2016
Registered!!

So I use the time sert. It was pretty easy to install. Since the drill bit only removes the old thread, it is really easy to drill by hand. You want to be very careful when tapping because if it is crooked you will be in trouble. I did not use the tap guide because it did not come with the kit and I did not wanted to wait another week to get the guide. I used WD40 for drilling and tapping and motor oil from the car for driving the insert (I talked with technical support from time sert and I was told that d40 was good enough and that any motor oil would do). Anyway, tomorrow I will get the new bolt and I will start putting things together. I hope this helps someone!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8035.JPG
Views:	505
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	88596   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8038.JPG
Views:	602
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	88597   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8040.JPG
Views:	568
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	88598  
Old 04-15-2016
Registered!!

Re: Help! I stripped TB tensioner thread - Solved!

I want to mention that the replacement bolt for the TB tensioner is 4 mm longer than the one that the car had. I called two different dealerships and both told me that the bolt they sell was exactly the same size, otherwise they would get info saying that the bolt was different. When I got the bolt, I compared with the old one and the new was longer... I think that the new bolt is long enough to use the whole thread of the insert so I think it was a good move, even though I waited two more days to finish the car.