Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2004 civic ex just stopped accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jessica19699 is an unknown quantity at this point
2004 civic ex just stopped accelerating

hello,

I have a question I was driving home from work yesterday and my 2004 Honda civic ex started to make some purging sounds at take off the engine would rev high for a sec then go back to how it should be well after driving it a few more miles the car just stopped being able to move at all when I gave it gas, the engine still ran fine and the tachometer would still go up when I gave it gas but the car wouldn't move in any gear(it was able to go into park and neutral still )the check engine light then came on, so after paying a rather expensive tow to get it back home I took it to a local mechanic I deal with and I'm waiting to here from him today. I just wanted to see if any one on here might have dealt or heard anything about this kind of issue, what it can be and how to fix, the tow truck guy said it sounds like a fuel filter is bad and the mechanic on a speculation without looking at it yet said It sounds like the transmission is shot. Can a transmission just stop working like that and would a transmission going bad turn a check engine light on? any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance
Old 02-05-2016
Registered!!

Re: 2004 civic ex just stopped accelerating

oh yeah after getting the car towed to the mechanics shop I got in the car to start it to show him what it was doing and the car went into gear and started moving again and reverse, this just add to the mystery .sorry I forgot to mention this in the posting
Old 02-05-2016
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Did you check transmission fluid level?
Old 02-05-2016
Registered!!

ripsaw thanks for you reply, I myself didn't check it but I just left the mechanic shop and he said he looked at it and it was pretty bad looking he said it looked like he had some metal shavings in it to, he is draining it and going to put some kind of trans fluid in it called "Lucas" I think he said to see if that will help fix it. I had multiple people tell me this seems like a fuel filter or maybe fuel pump or clogged injector, also maybe a clogged up catalectic converter, the mechanics swears it is the transmission he tells me the fuel system has nothing to do with the car not moving if the engine is still able to rev up and is running. I myself don't know what to believe I just don't want to pay money to replace a transmission if it is something totally different. You got any ideas?
Old 02-05-2016
Registered!!

Good luck. You are going to need it since you obviously my trust the mechanic now. From your description which is all I have and you never even mentioned miles or maintenance that has been done is it is the transmission. If it got real low, it could have overheated and bubbled and the pump was starving for oil even more. I had a old civic that was well maintained and bought new by me that had apx 100K on it and I used a house brand generic transmission fluid. After about 10K miles, it did what you say. When I drained the fluid, I could tell it was way too thick. New fluid fixed it. However, hard use can wear the clutches till the internal filter that can only be replace by tearing the transmission down can get stopped up. When this happens, little will help except a new transmission.

If you are lucky enough that new fluid fixes it. Ask your mechanic how many quarts he used. If only three, go ahead and get you a case of 12 Honda brand quarts. Change it 3 more time and drive the 2004 easy. When you drain it, it takes about 3 quarts. Run it around the block till you do the last 3 topping off as show in owners manual . Doing this will get proper oil in it. Then change 3 quarts ever third engine oil (around 5000 miles) change (15,000 for the transmission)

Last edited by RIPSAW; 02-05-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-05-2016
Registered!!

ripsaw thanks for the reply and sorry I forgot to mention the car has 353000 miles on it it is my work car I use to drive 85 miles one way to and from work everyday the maintenance since I had the car (which I bought brand new)hasn't been the best I admit as far as I can recall the transmission fluid never been changed or anything the basic oils changes etc. have been kept up on a better basis but not as the recommended time Honda recommends.so I guess it might be the transmission uh? would the fuel filter or fuel pump or clogged catalectic converter have anything to do with this happening? my mechanic tell me know but after reading a lot of other forums on here with similar actions the fuel filters seem to be mentioned a lot. I didn't realize a transmission can just stop like that and then after it was towed start to work again, he didn't even read the check engine light to see what the code was, when I go back down here soon I'm going to ask him to read the code to see what is says.
Old 02-05-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by jessica19699
would the fuel filter or fuel pump or clogged catalectic converter have anything to do with this happening?
(Probably not)

At 353K.. that girl probably could use a transmission. She's been a good one. That saying something and obviously you don't abuse it. It's probably going to be a clutch overrun maybe or something like that. Ezone will jump in here shortly and correct me. He's the expert. Wish you were close to him. He could take care of it.
Old 02-05-2016
Registered!!

wow ok well thanks for your advice, I cant afford a new car at this time or I would trade it in. I am about to ride back down to meet him to see what he says and give him the word on getting another transmission or not, if ezone chimes in I would love to hear his input. Thanks again
Old 02-05-2016
Registered!!

well I just got back from the mechanics shop and it looks like I need a new transmission he said the stuff he put in did minimal to nothing to help .as for the codes on the check engine light he told me there was multiple codes one being code p070 another was a code for the evap system one for valve train error and one for wheel speed sensor, he expressed to me with them codes being seen it means my timing chain is stretched thin and could go anytime he recommends I trade it in or sell it but he did say he would fix it if I wanted him to but I would most likely being paying him another visit within a year for something major, which I might just have to consider. any insight on this info? thanks again for all your help
Old 02-05-2016
Registered!!

I am pretty sure your car has a timing belt. So I am not sure if he just tried to relate on your level. That is a lot of mile. If it has the original timing belt, it probably called for a replacement at 100K or so. My old 85 Civic was 60K and I did two. I replace mine in my 1994 at 100K and they all still looked new.

That car will be total junk if the belt breaks since it bend valves.. I doubt those error are the belt. At a minimum, you need a new timing belt, water pump and the belt tensioner. Maybe a transmission. ( I serious doubt the transmission repair would be worth it unless you have no other choice. I would drive it again if the area you drive up North there is not dangerous to drive and see if transmission is acting up. If it acts up, only then get you a quote for the complete job. Plan on getting a new Honda Fit, Civic or HRV. Ezone will jump in with 24 with real error info. I am in Playa del Carmen for the winter and do not have my manuals.
Old 02-05-2016
Registered!!

Reverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of light

353000 miles
Damn, that is a thoroughly-driven car.

the engine still ran fine and the tachometer would still go up when I gave it gas but the car wouldn't move in any gear
It is NOT the fuel pump/filter

Can a transmission just stop working like that and would a transmission going bad turn a check engine light on?
Yes, and yes!

P0700 - Transmission Control System Malfunction

and probably P1457, Evap System Leak, but you should ask EXACTLY what the codes are. P1456 - easy fix, get a new fuel cap. P1457, ..... hundreds of dollars to repair since most places will just rip the whole EVAP system out rather than taking the time to do a leak test, though you could ask them.

With a rebuilt transmission, the EVAP system and your timing belt,water pump and tensioner, you are possibly looking in the range of "thousands" to fix it all up. You can easily find another Civic with A LOT LESS miles on it than yours for a similar price to fix your own car. Sorry to say it, but it is probably time to let it go.
Old 02-07-2016
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jessica19699
he expressed to me with them codes being seen it means my timing chain is stretched thin and could go anytime
Your car has a timing belt, not a chain, and the belts don't stretch. They wear and can eventually snap and if that happens it's possible for the valves to bend since the engine is an "intereference engine". The mechanic you brought it to sounds a bit suspect and if you have AAA or other towing service you might want to get a second opinion from a reputable local transmission or mechanic shop that's been in business for several years. Don't go to Amaco or other national ripoff shops.

If your transmission is indeed shot (and most likely is) then with that many miles on the engine it's definitely not worth putting any money into. If the body and interior are in good shape, suspension, steering and the rest of the car is sound then maybe put in a used lower mileage drive train (engine + transmission) . However, unless you can find free or cheap labor to install it, then it may not be a viable option.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 02-07-2016 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-12-2016
Registered!!

thanks guys for all your feedback ,I ended up buying another Honda civic lx with a lot less miles. I mainly use the car for commuting to work so yeah I drive about 45/50 thousand miles in a year and that is just back and forth to work lol. thanks again guys u all rock
Old 02-12-2016
Registered!!

Cool, don't want to be late for work..I need all you guys contributing to SS....