Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Battery Light Troubleshooting

Old 02-03-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NathanKeller is an unknown quantity at this point
Battery Light Troubleshooting

So after replacing my spark plugs and valve cover gasket, I went to reattach the battery and it sparked. It blew the 80A fuse. I put another fuse in and it blew that one. I checked for any hot wires, didn't find anything. However I removed the nut holding the ground to the alternator and reattached it with a piece of plastic between the ground and the alternator (which I had forgot to put in). Solved the arching problem and replaced with another fuse.

When I get into my car, I noticed the lights were dim and the battery light would occasionally flash. Drove it around for about 15 minutes to just recharge it hopefully. When I would come to a stop my RPMs would bounce up and hold at 2000. Sounds like the engine is revving. What is going on here? Im freaking out, as this is my daily and its pretty much my livelihood.

After the test drive, I let it sit for a second. Than I went to start it up and it started up fine.
Old 02-04-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Battery Light Troubleshooting

Originally Posted by NathanKeller
However I removed the nut holding the ground to the alternator and reattached it with a piece of plastic between the ground and the alternator (which I had forgot to put in). Solved the arching problem and replaced with another fuse.

the alternator has no ground wire, it is grounded by the alternators body
Old 02-04-2016
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

....and on 01-05 you DO want it to have it's proper grounding.
Old 02-04-2016
Registered!!

Yeah do you guys know what would be causing all the issues? Did I fry the alternator or battery?
Old 02-04-2016

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NathanKeller
However I removed the nut holding the ground to the alternator and reattached it with a piece of plastic between the ground and the alternator (which I had forgot to put in)
Are you sure you have of the correct placement of this item ??
Old 02-04-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
Are you sure you have of the correct placement of this item ??
Yeah talked to gut at auto zone and he said it would be impossible to switch it
Old 02-04-2016
Registered!!

Reverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of light

So you essentially shorted the battery by connecting it to ground, as in, didn't have that plastic separator.

Probably didn't ruin the alternator.. probably... but the battery could have definitely taken a hit. Shorting a car battery can instantly do damage.... think about it, you just shorted out 80 AMPS, that's a lot of amps....

Get a volt meter and test your battery with the car on and with the car off.

Careful, don't short it again! But in all likelihood, if the lights are still dim and the car cranks slowly, get a new battery.
Old 02-04-2016
Registered!!

Took it to Autozone to get battery/alternator tested. They said they could not test either because the battery was at 45% charge. Took it to a second autozone, they said battery was indeed low... They had me turn on the car to test the alternator. They said it was only putting out 11.xx volts and that it was bad. Guess I will have to tackle that project now
Old 02-05-2016

Check fuse #4 (10A) under dash box & fuse #20 (40A) under hood box.
Old 02-06-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
Check fuse #4 (10A) under dash box & fuse #20 (40A) under hood box.
Fuses were fine. Replaced alternator today. Charged the battery but it wouldn't get past like 45%, so I also replaced that. After all that no more battery light, car runs a lot better, and all for about $300 by doing it myself rather than taking it to a shop.