Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Basic Battery question

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R3KogHyZe is an unknown quantity at this point
Basic Battery question

Left my Civic with the headlights on for approx 90 mins at 5C outside temp whilst in an appointment. There was not enough juice to start the car on my return. Tried cranking it a fair number of times letting it rest every few goes.. got a jump-start off someone just came straight home.

What I'm wondering is :

Does this sound like a battery on it's last legs that I should definitely replace?

Is there a way to test the batteries performance with a multimeter?

To my limited knowledge that seems a bit quick to go flat, but it is 5C and most of my journeys have been short treks lately.
Old 02-03-2016
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Basic Battery question

An hour and a half is quite a while with head & tails on..... not a huge battery to begin with.

Deep cycling does them no good.
Old 02-03-2016
Registered!!

Reverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of light

How old is the battery? More than a few years? Better just get a new one.

There is no way to test the capacity of the battery with a voltmeter. You can test the voltage. If you have not charged it yet and find the voltage is below 10 volts, it's probably toast.

Usually once a battery has fallen below a certain voltage threshold you destroy the internal chemistry of the battery. You could try charging it and you may actually get it up to 13 or 14 volts, but the capacity could be totally gone and as soon as you try to use the battery the voltage will plummet.
Old 02-03-2016
Registered!!

R3KogHyZe is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure of the battery age. I've had the car 20 months and it wasn't new then.

Great tip thanks !

After the drive home (7 miles?) I tested across the terminals (some hours later) and see 12.7v

DashCommand shows 12.2v

Tomorrow I will observe the voltage on the terminals whilst cranking, from my reading I understand it should not dip below 10v and should rise to 13.5-14v or so..
Old 02-05-2016
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

1) Start car
2) Drive to autozone or other parts store
3) Tell parts-boy (liken to ****-boy..lol) you would like to have your battery, alternator and starter tested (no parts removed/all on car)
4) Report back here

Old 02-08-2016
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
emich is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by R3KogHyZe
Left my Civic with the headlights on for approx 90 mins at 5C outside temp whilst in an appointment. There was not enough juice to start the car on my return. Tried cranking it a fair number of times letting it rest every few goes.. got a jump-start off someone just came straight home.

What I'm wondering is :

Does this sound like a battery on it's last legs that I should definitely replace?

Is there a way to test the batteries performance with a multimeter?

To my limited knowledge that seems a bit quick to go flat, but it is 5C and most of my journeys have been short treks lately.

Mine won't last even 9 min. Still driving the car without replacing it.
Old 02-09-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by R3KogHyZe

After the drive home (7 miles?) I tested across the terminals (some hours later) and see 12.7v
i dont think many batteries even when they are new would last 1.5 hours with head and tail lights on, especially in the cold,

if it charged back up to 12.7 and is starting the car fine i would just leave it