Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engine Grind Car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pullieq2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine Grind Car won't start

After exhausting the forum search, I still wasn't able to figure out this issue. I haven't had the money, as of yet, to go buy necessary tools, etc., but was looking for a point of start to this problem while waiting.

So far, I've heard things such as pulley of some sort, water pump, alternator, AC compressor and even timing belt or water pump. But, I'd like to see if there is anything else that maybe I should be looking for.

So, starting at the beginning, here was the condition of my 01 Honda Civic LX manual tran with AC before the problem began.

1. The engine light stays on due to needing a replacement O2 sensor or catalytic converter. Sensor on bank 1 had been replaced, but problem still persisted.

2. Timing belt was replaced in 2014 and car has 280,000 miles on it.

3. Engine has small oil leak. Location unknown. Even after replacing Valve gasket with TBelt job. It leaks onto the engine well on passenger side and pools in crevice on top near the valve cover.

4. It has been experiencing alternator and battery problems. They have both been replaced twice this year. They were both replaced, including belts and cables, the last time in Sept of 2015.

These are the known issues.
Now, onto the current problem.

1. We replaced the alternator and battery and the car seemed to work fine. Then, after a month, a squeal developed, like a loose belt. I checked the belts and all was fine.

2. After a few months of this, the squeal became more pronounced, especially during start up. It lasted longer and got faster.

3. Finally, it developed a metallic grinding noise. Almost like a bad bearing. It started during cold start, at first, then it happened all the time. It grew worse over a period of 2 more months. I checked belts and they were fine.

4. The metallic grinding noise became terrible. It's on the driver side or maybe the front of the engine. I can't tell. It became consistent. It hit it's worst point on a drive home from work. The car suddenly had a sudden loss of compression (maybe not the right word. It was like something dragging on the engine for 30 seconds or so.) on the freeway, but recovered. Then I started to smell an awful burning scent. It didn't smell like a rubber belt burning. More like a combo of electrical and rubber. It was severe by the time i got to a stop light and made it home. The burning causes smoke to rise from the bottom of the engine on driver side. I know it isn't a water pump, the car never overheated.

5. This grinding and burning continued. I even took the vehicle by an auto store to see if they could pinpoint the problem. They were clueless as to the location. It only began to exhibit the burning after the engine would heat up.

6. That brings me to today. Went out after shutting ff at a grocery store. The car won't start. It turns over and belts move, but no fire. It doesn't grind during turnover. It's just dead.

Possible solutions? Thanks for reading my rant bout my money pit.
Old 01-30-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Engine Grind Car won't start

Timing belt tensioner pulley let go?
Pull valve cover and timing belt top cover to view more?

Plastic timing cover melted in spots from a timing belt or pulley trying to escape?