Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

no start

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michael Irby is an unknown quantity at this point
no start

I recently replaced the head gasket.But still no start.You can hear the engine sounding like its getting compression.Sorta like a steam engine when trying to crank it but it will not start up.I can also smell a little bit of gas when trying to start it.The fuel line are connected the injectors are in pretty good.Not sure what else it could be.
Old 01-30-2016
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: no start

Originally Posted by Michael Irby
I recently replaced the head gasket.But still no start.
Was it starting and running well before head gasket replacement?
Did you follow FSM (service manual) during head gasket replacement?
Did you bring the head to a machine shop? If so, what all did they do to it?

You can hear the engine sounding like its getting compression.Sorta like a steam engine when trying to crank it but it will not start up.
From your description it sounds like air (compression) is being pushed out.
Spark plugs torqued to spec? All vacuum lines connected? Did you have the valve stems seals replaced if and when the cylinder head was at the machine shop? Bled air out of coolant per FSM? Do a compression test dry and wet.

Did you try spraying starter fluid in the throttle body?
Try pressing gas pedal to floor for seconds with key in the second position.. then release gas pedal and try starting.

I can also smell a little bit of gas when trying to start it.The fuel line are connected the injectors are in pretty good.Not sure what else it could be.
Air, fuel and spark.
Old 02-03-2016
Registered!!

before the head gasket replacement it started and i went to the store.Got ready to leave it wouldn't crank back up.I knew the head gasket was blown pretty bad.Took the head to the machine shop.They told me the whole head needed to be rebuilt.So i just bought a new one.Put it on and it still wouldn't start.I have pressure in the fuel line when i went to dis connet it.Fuel shot everywhere.I also have spark at the wires.I haven't tried starter fluid.My battery died from the cold weather also.So i have been jumping it off everytime i go to try and start it until the battery dies back down from trying to crank it.Sometimes it spins over fast when the battery is charged.But when it's drained it's a lag
Old 02-04-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Compression test?

Timing correct: Cam-crank/timing belt?
Old 02-04-2016
Registered!!

i haven't done a compression test yet I'm going to Monday.What should be the compression for the cylinders.The Timing Is correct number one piston is at TDC and the cam sprocket is lined up with the notch
Old 02-05-2016

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

before the head gasket replacement it started and i went to the store.Got ready to leave it wouldn't crank back up.I knew the head gasket was blown pretty bad.Took the head to the machine shop.They told me the whole head needed to be rebuilt.So i just bought a new one.Put it on and it still wouldn't start.I have pressure in the fuel line when i went to dis connet it.Fuel shot everywhere.I also have spark at the wires.I haven't tried starter fluid.My battery died from the cold weather also.So i have been jumping it off everytime i go to try and start it until the battery dies back down from trying to crank it.Sometimes it spins over fast when the battery is charged.But when it's drained it's a lag
OP.. Your prior post as reference: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...placement.html
You purchased a completely rebuilt head that has new valves, stem seals, resurfaced and installed it yourself ?

Before the old cylinder head's valves bent was there jumped teeth or improper timing belt change done on it that may have caused the valves to bend? Did you replace the timing belt for the (new) rebuilt head or just reuse the timing belt?
Old 02-05-2016
Registered!!

I purchased a completely rebuilt head and the machine shop resurfaced.I installed it.With the old head i looked before i took it off and everything was still in time.But i did replace the belt with the head and everything lines up.I guess I just need to do a compression test.
Old 02-05-2016

I purchased a completely rebuilt head and the machine shop resurfaced.I installed it.With the old head i looked before i took it off and everything was still in time.But i did replace the belt with the head and everything lines up.I guess I just need to do a compression test.
What about the prior head/bent valves.. you said (other post) the timing belt did not snap or fall off so, did it jump teeth? What I am saying is are you sure your mechanical timing is correct? Because, with the rebuilt head you just installed if, you just set it at TDC and slipped the timing belt off without correcting the possible timing issue that may have caused the valves to bend prior.. then you're most likely facing the same scenario with the newly installed rebuilt head. Refer to your prior (linked) post Ezone states: "Ouch. Was it still correctly timed when you took it apart?
Did you rotate cam or crank after removing the timing belt?"

Also, I'll ask again did you do a recent timing belt change to the old head prior to the valves bending? I am not trying to put you on the spot ..just trying to get a proper history because whithout it we may not be able to properly help.
Old 02-06-2016
Registered!!

yes i put a new belt on and tensioner on and spring.Put the number one piston at TDC and lined the cam sprocket up with the notch on the head and then slipped the belt on and tighten the spring.It's fine i'm just trying to get her running lol
Old 02-11-2016
Registered!!

did a compression test only getting 45psi in each cylinder
Old 02-11-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

did a compression test only getting 45psi in each cylinder
All 4 read the same?

If those numbers are even remotely accurate, you have a serious problem.

I'd recheck all aspects of timing, because anything that affects the cam-crank relationship can result in low compression.
Even making sure the gears are correctly aligned on the crankshaft (key missing?) and cam gear is properly installed and aligned on the cam, and then the timing belt install.
Old 02-13-2016
Registered!!

yes they all are putting out the same reading.The crankshaft key I'll have to recheck the timing.With that being said if the timing is off a hair could that of possibly bent some valves
Old 02-13-2016
Registered!!

I'm going to go back and check the timing is there a timing mark on the crankshaft like it is on the camshaft. I put the number one piston at top dead center.
Old 02-13-2016

if the timing is off a hair could that of possibly bent some valves
Just a few teeth off, probably not.

Several teeth, yes.

If anything went sour during assembly, yes.

There are always a few valves open, it's easy to damage them--- so if you set the head down on the engine wrong ....or on the workbench or floor during your work, any open valves could have been damaged.

If you spun the crankshaft around and any pistons went to the top where any valves were open, that tends to flatten out any open valves.
Old 02-14-2016
Registered!!

if I pull the head off will I need a new head gasket the one I just put on is brand new and it doesn't have any miles or anything. Also is there a way to check for bent valves myself. If the timing is off its off by just a little.I set the number 1 piston up and and lined the sprocket up good as I could.Ive done a head gasket job on one of these cars before set the timing got it back together and it fired right up.
Old 02-14-2016

If the timing is off its off by just a little.I set the number 1 piston up and and lined the sprocket up good as I could.
Have you rechecked now that you know the compression is far too low?

Also is there a way to check for bent valves myself.
Sure, but you check for valve sealing ability, using a leakdown test.

I'd sure be darn sure it needs to come apart before taking it all apart again. I hate extra work, I'm damn lazy.

if I pull the head off will I need a new head gasket the one I just put on is brand new and it doesn't have any miles or anything.
Technically it needs to be replaced.

If you want to try reusing, that's up to you.
I've done it once or twice out of necessity and got lucky.

Ive done a head gasket job on one of these cars before set the timing got it back together and it fired right up.
How's the valve clearance?
Did you check and adjust them during assembly?

Bent valves would suddenly have a whole bunch of excessive clearance.
Old 02-16-2016
Registered!!

I haven't rechecked since the low compression ratio. I didn't adjust them during assembly.It doesn't even have resistance when turning the crank with a regular socket.It spins easy like it has no spark plugs in it.Im thinking of just buying a brand new head? and a graphite head gasket?

Last edited by Michael Irby; 02-16-2016 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-16-2016

I can't see your timing marks in your pic.

Check timing.

Check valve clearances and adjust if necessary. Tight valves can cause low compression readings.

Valves are usually cheaper than a cylinder head.
If you don't figure out what went wrong, a new head might suffer the same fate too?
Old 02-18-2016
Registered!!

I'm going to check all of that out. thanks