Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Steam from under the hood

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sailorman3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Steam from under the hood

My 2005 civic has just started to put a little steam out from under the hood. On the highway the temp is normal but when I slow down the gauge starts to rise. I can smell antifreeze when I stop the car, The steam is coming from the back of the engine. Also when driving at times I have no heat and then I have heat again. The oil has no antifreeze in it nor does the exhaust. Could it just be a heater hose or does it sound like a head gasket?
Old 11-21-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Steam from under the hood

FIRST quit driving it and running it--- before you really kill the engine (if that hasn't already happened from loss of antifreeze and overheating)

Then locate the source of the antifreeze leak and fix it

Then see if it will live or need a head gasket job or whatever
Old 11-21-2015
Registered!!

OK for starters I'm not a complete moron. I'm not driving the car in this condition. This happened to me on the way home last night. First symptoms were on the way home. I drove the car about 7 km like it and the temp gauge never went past half gauge. The only real question that I have is if the head gasket is gone without any other symptoms will it leak steam out from the back of the engine.
Old 11-21-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The only real question that I have is if the head gasket is gone without any other symptoms will it leak steam out from the back of the engine.
The head would have to warp a whole lot to let liquid escape from between head and block. I have only see something that dramatic when someone kept running the overheated engine until it quit....
So I doubt it's that.

Water pump, small coolant hoses, heater hoses, and if you are in the rust belt or far north I hear the big steel water pipe across the back of the block can rust through.
Old 11-21-2015
Registered!!

And bingo on the water pipe. That is what the problem is. I replaced one on a Mazda that I had years ago but it was on the front. It was a whole lot easier than this one is going to be.
Old 11-21-2015

IF it has blown the head gasket from overheating, that pipe would be a whole lot easier to replace after the cylinder head is off the engine and intake manifold is out of the way.

However, if the cooling system can't hold liquid you may be hard pressed to prove the gasket has been breached using my methods...and unless it's really bad you'll never see the stuff (symptoms) most people look for.
(depends on how quick coolant pipe is leaking and how bad the head gasket is leaking)
Old 11-21-2015
Registered!!

It is in the pipe for sure. I can see where antifreeze is dripping out from it. I might have to call it on this one. I'm not really interested in replacing the head gasket just to get at that pipe and it doesn't look like it can be replaced without removing the intake manifold and head. I think I'll start to look for a new car. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-21-2015

It can be done without pulling the head too.
Old 12-01-2015
Registered!!

Well finally got the connector pipe finished. It was by far one of the hardest jobs that I have done yet especially without removing the head. I did find another problem. Two broken sway bar links. I can't believe they were both broken and I had no issues with steering. Just finished those and I'm good for another hundred thousand km. My gold is 400,000 km. 100,000 to go.
Old 12-01-2015

Maybe you could post a play-by-play of how you replaced that pipe, so someone searching for answers in the future could be helped?
Old 12-02-2015
PMI
Registered!!

PMI has a spectacular aura aboutPMI has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Sailorman3
...Two broken sway bar links. I can't believe they were both broken and I had no issues with steering...
I can. The previous owner of my car must have been driving that way for months if not years, and I am just getting around to those.